Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bontrager xxx lite wheels
  • Bikepimp
    Free Member

As above you opinions on these as look the bees and ees. Your comments please.

snakebite
    Free Member

I have a set on my commuter, well made and nice and smooth.

stumpy01

Are these the £300 wheels?

A mate of mine has them (he got them for £80 from an Evans sale!!) and they seem OK.
    BUT, the rims are 'tubeless ready' and he uses tubes. He had a puncture at Cwm Carn & it took us ages to change the tube – about 25 mins – and he couldn't actually do it, his brother did it in the end, so he'd have been screwed if out on his own. Probably not an issue if you use tubeless tyres I would imagine.

I seem to remember the bloke at MBR who has a Trek Fuel EX8 as a long term test bike also moaned about the Bontrager rims being a pain to change tubes/tyres on.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i don't have the xxx ones but can give bonty wheels in general a thumbs up. they are tricky to seat some tyres on but it's never been a major problem

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Snakebite you have a £1000.00 pair of wheels on you commuter bike? That's very bling if so:) The xxx are the full carbon rim ones with the centrelock rotor mounting. Thanks for the comments……keep them coming…….

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i do have xxx lite bars and stem, i sent the stem back as it looked like it was starting to crack and i didn't want to die.

awh
    Free Member

Run them tubeless! I've only tried Bontrager tyres and once you've got the technique they aren't difficult getting on and off. Soma metal tyre levers help. Depending on which tyres I'm using they need to be over-pressured to 45-60psi to get the tyre beam to snap into place.

I think the problem is that really Bontrager rims are designed as a tubeless system so no wonder people get problems when swapping back to tubes. I'm not suprised the MBR bloke moans, getting 60psi with a mini pump isn't easy. Go tubeless!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I thought the xxx lites were the pimp road ones or the pimp mtb ones, if it's the road ones you're on about their awesome, I have 2 pairs that I use for cross and are superlight and bombproof.

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Blazin-saddles,
    It's the mtb version as they were on the top fuel and hardtail. They are available aftermarket now to buy but are retailed at £1000.00 big ones, ouch!

Offroading
    Free Member

I can't see the point of them. £1000 and there over 1.5kg

Or spend about £800 on a set of DT 190's with Stans 7000 rims which would be into the 1.2/1.3kg range.

I owned a set of Race X lites, mounting tyres was a fooking nightmare. Fine if you fit and forget but if its a race situation it's a pain in the ass.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager xxx lite wheels’ is closed to new replies.