Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bontrager XR4 front tyre alternatives 2.35
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Morning Guys,

XR4s in 2.35 26″ have now gone end of life, and not had any luck finding any for sale in the team issue tubeless lighter weight version.

It’s been my go to front tyre for many years, rolls well on all terrain, bags of grip, and never had a flat.

Anyone recommend any alternatives? 2.3-2.4 26″?

Was looking at Schwalbes but every review slates the sidewalls.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I have never had any issues with front tyres when it comes to sidewalls. Rear is a different story. I had a nobby nic on the rear which ended up with a couple of slashes that wouldn’t seal but on the front the magic Mary evo trail star has been great.

Used to swear by maxxis DHF on the front but I think the Mary is a better tyre generally all round and have bought one to replace the DHF for the 29er.

tomd
    Free Member

I went from those to Specialized Purgatory and they’re kind of similar.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Hey Amedias, my mate ordered some of those and received comps, same with Blacks XR2 they were mis-listed 🙁

edit*
    Looks like they’ve fixed the xr2 now, they were sold as team issue originally

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/245855-bontrager-xr2-comp-mtb-tyre-black.html

amedias
    Free Member

Hey Amedias, my mate ordered some of those and received comps

That would be mighty upsetting!

It can sometimes be worth ringing round a few of the bigger Trek shops to see if they have any in stock, just because out of production doesn’t mean there’s not some sitting in backroom boxes or on shelves somewhere

I went and picked up a couple of 26in Spesh Captains from my local shop for a friend a while back when he was lamenting their disappearance.

Might be worth the 30-40 mins of calling round, could net you a few if you’re lucky!

DezB
    Free Member

Similar tread to these Mavic Quest available in a 26×2.4.
    Got one on my 29er and it works well. Proper UST too.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Thanks Simon, thinking about it I never do usually scrape front on rocks, its always the rear tyre and sometimes rear mech lol

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Going to look at the Purgs Tom thanks, and also the Quest Dec 🙂

Amedias have rung round local NW suppliers/shops and looks like a mass cull of bonty 26″ range 😯

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager XR4 front tyre alternatives 2.35’ is closed to new replies.