Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Bontrager tubeless rim tape ?
  • tragically1969
    Free Member

I cant seem to find this stuff online, unless i am looking/searching for the wrong stuff, its the bontrager equiv of the stans yellow tape i am rambling on about, think its blue, where the hell do i buy it ?

DaveL
    Free Member

This is what you want,
    http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/bontrager_rim_strip.html

It’s for Bontrager tubeless wheels only though, can’t be used with other rims. You will also need a valve and some sort of sealant, either Bontragers own or make your own

Probably get it cheaper elsewhere

Dave

datsunman

On my Bontrager’s the tubeless strip was black, it was the standard rim tape that was blue.

Dunno what other brands are like but it was dead easy to fit. 🙂

tragically1969
    Free Member

DaveL, Nah, thats not it, its the tape for sealing the spoke holes i was on about, folk have used it on stans rims instead of the stans yellow tape, its cheaper….

Thanks anyway !

matthew_h
    Free Member

The Specialized stuff is blue but it’s absolute crap compared to the Stans stuff

tragically1969
    Free Member

Ahhhh, specialized, thats why i couldn’t bloody find it ! Oh, not as good as stans then ?

matthew_h
    Free Member

It’s nowhere near as thick, sticky or strong as the Stans stuff and hence is far more likely to get wrinkled, come unstuck and subsequently leak.

Stan’s is the proper stuff and works perfectly. It’s not even that expensive really

tragically1969
    Free Member

Yeah i bought some of the wider stuff for my flows, Mrs Tragic now has crests so need the narrower stuff, best just buy stans then by the sounds of it

matthew_h
    Free Member

Crests should have the same width tape as the Flows, the 25mm stuff. Works better than the 21mm.

tragically1969
    Free Member

I thought the 21mm stuff was specifically for crests ?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Nope, it’s for Olympic/Alpine rims mainly. Definitely use 25mm on Crests

cabbage84
    Free Member

Just use the bontrager strips they work fine. I have a spare set of the asymmetric ones if you need them. I bought the wrong ones so these are just sitting around doing nothing all you need to pay is postage and packing costs.

Mal-ec
    Free Member
    clubber
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered that swinnerton 29er one. Anyone know for sure if it’s the right one for a Bonty Mustang osb rim?

clubber
    Free Member

Out of interest, what’s wrong with insulation tape instead of stand yellow/ etc? Works fine with tubes so why not tubeless?

snakebite
    Free Member

I’ll ask for you clubber 🙂 I use the Bonty strips on two sets of King Earl wheels with stans sealant, its fine.

clubber
    Free Member

Ta. Can’t really find out detail as to which one to use but the rhythm one seems much wider and isn’t asym

snakebite
    Free Member

Craig will check your order in the morning clubber, make sure they are the right ones

granny_ring

tragically1969, I’ve got a 10m roll of 21mm stans tape for sale unused £8 posted

Tracker1972
    Free Member

tragically1969, if it is Bontragers tubeless stuff you are after use their rimstrips suggested by DaveL, they fill the spoke bed by just the right amount and I have never had any bother inflating tyres (admittedly bonty tyres also) as it all just works. No other tape required, and yea, the blue stuff is the normal rimstrip.

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks snakebite – that’s service 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

taking of wheels…

tragically1969
    Free Member

granny_ring, cheers, but matthew_h is correct, its the 25mm i need, just ordered a new roll.

clubber
    Free Member

Well they just arrived (excellent service, Swinnerton! Only ordered yesterday afternoon) – they do look right but it’d be good to have confirmation before I fit them.

clubber
    Free Member

Fitted and definitely correct – a bit of work getting them fitted but in place and seem like a very good design though we’ll see how they are in use. Had to pump the tyre up to 40psi to get the bead to fully seat but it seems nice and secure now.

clubber
    Free Member

Did the second one today and that was a right faff. All sorted now but had to trim the rim tape slightly where the vale sits to get it to seal properly and it was an arse getting the strip into the bead hooks on the rim. Seems to be all secure now though.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager tubeless rim tape ?’ is closed to new replies.