Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • bontrager TLR…want to run tubeless
  • nelmangle
    Free Member

Hi..i’ve just picked up some Bontrager Rythym Comp TLR wheels.. and i want to run them tubeless. I have not been supplied with any valves…just fitted with blue plastic rim ‘tape’..

what do i need to run tubeless ? and should i keep or replace the plastic blue rim ‘tape’ with something more suitable.

all advice welcomed
    Nels

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

You need valves, some stans jizz and bontrager or ust tyres.

Not sure if the rim strips you have are the right ones.

leebaxter
    Free Member

I run these rims tubeless. I have put some roval tape (like stans yellow) beneath the blue strip that comes with them, for added sealing, and added a tubeless valve, and slime sealent. They run faultless.

mintimperial

The Bontrager TLR strips for the Rhythm Comp wheels I have are black plastic things, they’re pretty big and have ridges running along them. They snap very snugly into the rim bed. If the blue strips you have look like normal inner-tubed rim strips don’t try to use them on their own, they won’t work. You should be okay with Stans strips or similar on there if you can’t get the Bonty ones.

shaggy

The blue strips are what come on the wheels when supplied with a bike. The Bontrager rims are designed to run with a specific Bontrager black plastic rim strips and valve stems. You are best to use Bontrager TLR tyres (or normal tyres) with a sealant (UST are really tight). I’ve used them like that for 5 years and they’ve been great. You can use Stan’s type tape but it’s much harder to get the tyres to seal.

nelmangle
    Free Member

thanks all.

shaggy – so are you suggesting the blue strips are not the correct ones for running tubeless then.. i.e. need to buy alternatives

regards
    Lee

P20

I had a nightmare at times with the bonty system. Various tyres, some would seal, others simply wouldn’t. Main problem seemed to be the valve and rim strip interface. After different valves and strips we gave up.

imp999
    Free Member

The black strips are profiled to lock the bead of the tyre in place. They come in Symmetrical and asymmetrical due to offset spokes.
    I use these on Bonti and WTB rims and they lock the bead in a treat. Very secure.
    Bonti have done a bit of work around the valve/stip interface – my second pair are different in this area.

clubber
    Free Member

shaggy – so are you suggesting the blue strips are not the correct ones for running tubeless then.. i.e. need to buy alternatives

Yes, he is. You need to get the black plastic rim strips like this and the valves:

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/bontrager-tubeless-asymmetric-rim-strip.html
    (this is the asym one – not sure which specific rim strip you need for your rim)

valve: http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/bontrager-tubeless-wheel-valve.html#aTC0822

They’re great IME though you need to fit them right (they must go under the bead hook like this image on the left):

And you also need to get the tyre bead at least partially onto the raised section nearest the rim wall before inflating. Mine have been trouble free for well over a year now.

nbt

lee, yes you need to buy new strips. where are you? If you’re close to me I’ve a set you can have cheap, I set my TLR wheel up tubeless then got some pro II wheels. I’m in Marple, near stockport – will be at hit the north tomorrow and on the next Peaks Pootle

nelmangle
    Free Member

thanks for all the replies…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘bontrager TLR…want to run tubeless’ is closed to new replies.