Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bontrager Rhythm wobbly freehub?
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

My Rhythm Pro rear wheel doesn’t seem to have liked my recent trip to Les Arcs. I came back with a snapped spoke and yesterday spotted a small ding in the spoke bed. Took the wheel off and noticed that the axle was very stiff – the freehub feels fine by hand, but when on the bike, the cassette wobbles like a buckled rim. Any ideas what the problem might be – collapsed bearings maybe (they feel smooth with no grittiness apart from being stiff to spin).

I had planned to get the front one rebuilt onto a 20mm Pro2 as I don’t use Maverick forks anymore, but the cost of that plus the likely cost of sorting the rear might mean it’s time for some new wheels, despite the fact these are £600s worth and only a couple of years old.

coatesy
    Free Member

Could be the pawl carrier has worked it’s way loose from the hub-shell, or worn bearings. Easy enough hubs to work on, for details check out dtswiss.com, and look up Onyx hubs in the old documents section of product documents.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Thanks for that – any special tools needed do you know?

sillyoldman

The Rhythm Pros didn’t use a DT hub – just the Elite.

Trek dealers have access to tech docs, so give your nearest a shout?

First batch had issues with the freehub which Trek sorted out, but if it’s lasted 2 yrs it’s unlikely to be part of that batch I guess?

coatesy
    Free Member

My mistake(they don’t mark the hubs, and they all look the same). If you’ve got the other type then i’d guess you need a new freehub body, they’re fitted with an unusual 11mm key, an adaptor comes with the body from Trek, but these are liable to split on tight bolts. Most tool shops will give a blank look if you ask for an 11mm allen key, but will usually have an identically sized 7/16″ on the shelf.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Took it into my lbs and the reckoned it was perfectly within tolerance and said it was quite common to have a little oscillation. The axle had freed itself up too.

My pro2 doesn’t oscillate at all – has anyone got a wobble?!

binners

My Rythm elites developed a bit of play in the casette. I thought it was bearings or a freehub body so I took it to the LBS. Same result. They said there’s nowt up with either! So I just ignore it now. I’m good at that 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager Rhythm wobbly freehub?’ is closed to new replies.