• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bontrager Mud X 29 for winter racing…?
  • Kryton57

Any good? I’m happy with Maxis Beavers TBH but can’t for the life of me get them up tubeless on my wheels. My options therefore are:

a) Buy some Bonty Mud X
    b) Put tubes in the beavers and risk punctures
    c) Splash out on some new wheels…

Vortexracing

Although I don’t race that much, only the odd local one and I’m crap at it, I think they are ideal, mine are 26″ variety BTW.

and I run them tubeless.

zippykona

I run Bonty Muds on all my bikes year round.
    They are great in the mud and roll well on hard pack. Can’t ask for more really.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I used to use mud X all year round on 26 inch wheel bikes and we sold loads but the 29 version doesn’t seem nearly as good . I tried them and didn’t get on well and everybody who bought the 29 version was unimpressed to the extent that we don’t stock them any more . I also like a bit more volume than 2.0 so I can run my tyres softer . However mud on the Isle of Man may be different to the type you have locally but IME there are much better tyres out there .

Kryton57

Such as Neil? As mention I liked the Beavers, but don’t want to risk punctures by running them with tubes but of thats what I have to do so be it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I ride and race them in mud, the soil round here is sandy mud slop and they work brilliantly

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I’ve not tried the 29er version but the old 26 were very good. For 29 I can highly recommend Spesh Torm Control – good value too

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yeah they’re equally as good.

There’s a new version of the team issue muds that have slightly different tread blocks with more sipes on them too

njee20
    Free Member

Buy a Flash Charger or Airshot pump and set your Beavers tubeless.

That said I find Beavers slow, although they do have bags of grip. it’s rare I’d choose them to race. Dirty Dans are good in 26″, not tried the 29er variant.

Kryton57

Our accident prone mutual friend used a Flash Charger at the Bonty – I was quite impressed but they don’t come cheap. Last year I only used a Beaver – tubeless – up front with Ron rear. I can’t even get that same tyre to seat on the same wheel. Tried all the co2, tube etc combos.

I looked at the Dirty Dan. Maybe a good call.

njee20
    Free Member

Then try a Flash Charger 😉

It’s not that much more expensive than a pair of Mud Xs you’re proposing to buy.

john_l
    Free Member

Beavers are much lighter than Bontys, but the Mud Xs do go up nicely tubeless.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I’ve always found the Rocket Ron to be pretty grippy , light weight and fast rolling . Pretty much what you need from a race tyre .

adsh
    Free Member

26 or 29?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager Mud X 29 for winter racing…?’ is closed to new replies.