Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Bontrager 24/12
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Having just done Mayhem solo I think I may be hooked, there’s only torch burner solo places left for the 12, is it worth the trip darn sarf from Cheshire?

thomthumb
    Free Member

best 24 course there is imo

pete68
    Free Member

In a word, yes. Personally much prefer it to mayhem. Really good course and nice relaxed atmosphere.

amedias
    Free Member

Yep, definitely, better course, better atmosphere, it’s the only 24 I bother going to now.

Torchburner is a giggle too so go for it!

monkeychild
    Free Member

I preferred it to Mayhem, the atmosphere is better as is the course. However, I’m not sure I’d travel all that way for 12 hours of racing(that’s me personally). The torch bearer is a commendable effort as your body and mind will be doing funky things due to being out of sync.

stumpy01

Love the 24/12. It’s the one event that is on our calendar as a must do, even if there has been some horrendous weather for the last few years (last year was OK though).

Great atmosphere and great course. Not sure I’d want to do the torchbearer though!

amedias
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d travel all that way for 12 hours of racing

treat it as a weekend of camping with other bike nuts with a race thrown in for good measure 😉

40mpg

^^ all of this. Great event. Although I won’t be taking it too seriously, being in a sumo suit on a fat bike ‘n all 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

The starting at midnight doesn’t bother me in the slightest, I regularly do a night shift mid week to check on my teams working on site and then back to days so the body clock can handle it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

treat it as a weekend of camping with other bike nuts with a race thrown in for good measure

I’m going 😀

Nobby

As has been said above.

Plus you get to see Team Sumo in all its glory 🙂

*wonders if the nutters on a tandem are going to be there*

ciderinsport
    Free Member

40mpg – Member
    ^^ all of this. Great event. Although I won’t be taking it too seriously, being in a sumo suit on a fat bike ‘n all

Hey – I’m doing that too! Maybe should form a 12 hour solo team?

Plus you get to see Team Sumo in all its glory

Oh yeh we did 😆 All of team sumo 12 hour riders are on fat bikes this year, plus we have a 24 hour soloist 😯 We have let him stick to silly thin wheels!

The event – Ace! Go!

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Not sure it’s ‘better’ than mayhem it’s just different plus after this yrs event mayhem is defo back. I find the biggest problem with 24/12 is the journey it’s long way if u ain’t local (ish) & the last part of the drive if you get stuck in traffic is a nightmare, but as mentioned the course is probably the best out there & it’s very friendly & has a great relaxed vibe to it.

Nobby

plus we have a 24 hour soloist

S**t the bed! Which side of the fit/insane divide is he from? 🙂

stumpy01

Did someone mention SUMO!?

Got a load of these pics from our trackside position while shouting SUMO SUMO SUMO every time you went past!

13-07-27 DSC_7547 by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

Also managed the jump of doom on every lap past your tents….(I think it was you lot with the jump of doom??)

ciderinsport
    Free Member

plus we have a 24 hour soloist
    S**t the bed! Which side of the fit/insane divide is he from?

Insane! Although his sumo suit is the ‘lightweight’ version!
    As seen here, 2nd from the left! That was when we did mayhem as singlespeed sumo’s!

Hey stumpy – thats me at the front 😀 cool pic!

And yes – jump of doom will be back! Along with our all night and all day and all night disco marathon!

stumpy01

ciderinsport – Member

Hey stumpy – thats me at the front cool pic!

😀

I think it was the first lap. I meant to mention I had some pics during the last ‘post 24/12’ thread, but didn’t get round to it. I had the camera on continuous so got quite a good stream of pics.
    If I remember I’ll whack them on a memory card and bring them over at this years event…..

This was our camping area (my mate works for Raleigh, hence the Slime ezy-up) near the wiggly bit just after the start. We’ll probably be covered in Raleigh logo’s this year!

13-07-26 DSCN4814 by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Found Team Sumo’s video from last year!

8)

Shows the course off quite well!

40mpg

I’d forgotten they handed out free ice lollies from the ice cream van parked halfway up the first climb! That was ace!

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’d forgotten they handed out free ice lollies from the ice cream van parked halfway up the first climb! That was ace!

That was only on the 1st lap 🙁 (well for me soloing it was the 1st lap)

MrsToast
    Free Member

What’s the course like at Bonty in terms of difficulty/weather resistance? I quite fancy doing another race, but I only ever really enjoyed Sleepless in the Saddle. Last MM I did was 2012. The horror, the horror….

ciderinsport
    Free Member

^^^ we ended up at bonty last year after mayhem 2012!

Much better course than mm, IMHO! Have a look at a few clips on youtube.

Loads of nice Singletrack!

theashnav
    Free Member

Yep got rid of the fragile carbon bike so will be able to get more air on the Fatback 😀

monkeychild
    Free Member

The Bonty course is a lot more interesting than the Mayhem one. There’s only one “dull” climb IMHO and that’s the 1st one.

Nobby

A few of us are hoping they bring back the 2011 course – that was absolutely relentless.

Health permitting, Nobby Jr will be riding my SS in the kids race. The shouts of “go singlespeed!” made his weekend last year 🙂

I have little doubt he’ll be chanting Sumo! Sumo! again every chance he gets too.

Dunno why, really looking forward to it this year.

GregMay
    Free Member

I’ll be there racing around for a day on my own 🙂

Not raced this course so looking forward to it.

amedias
    Free Member

A few of us are hoping they bring back the 2011 course – that was absolutely relentless.

That was the one with the section on the edge of the moors wasn’t it?

Loved that course 🙂

Nobby

That was the one with the section on the edge of the moors wasn’t it?

Yep. It just didn’t let up anywhere. 🙂

stylish
    Free Member

Done it twice now so hardly an expert, but loved it both times, the first in 2010 was wet, really wet, but we still had a laugh, last year was great, the lap the atmosphere and a podium in 24 hour teams (thanks to my much faster team mates) made it one of those weekends to remember. sadly I wont be back this year, an incident with a French kerb at Le mans 2 weeks ago resulted in a smashed collar bone, a lovely set of titanium screws and a plate to hold it all together, so for anyone going, enjoy it, have a laugh and behold one of the best 24 hour races you will find.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager 24/12’ is closed to new replies.