Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • bontager XR4 compared to jones ACX
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

i rode some jones ACX on a test bike ages ago and they were fantastic on loose loamy soil and mud. i’m about to change my rubber queens for something more suitable to surrey hills winter riding mainly due to clearance issues in the rear (i may keep one on the front for a bit longer)

thing is bontrager have stopped doing the jones ACX in 26 apart from the basic wire bead one and have started doing 29’er tyres instead.
    i think they did them last year but swapped the sizing around because the difference between a 2.0 and 2.2 was massive so they called the 2.2 a 2.35. (or maybe it was the other way round?)

i have one 2.35 tubeless ready gum-bi dual compound ACX from a friend but couldn’t find them online so dunno if an old stock 2.2 will be similar if i can find one or has anyone used an XR4? how do they compare to an ACX?

did think of getting a mud-x but they look skinny for a 2.0 and i’ll not be riding if it’s that muddy 🙂

anyone have a jones TLR 2.2/2,35 to sell

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I have a stockpile but I’m keeping them – sorry!

Mud X very similar to ACX but knobs a bit rounder and more widely spaced. Sizing is pretty similar, I’d say.

Not tried XR4 but rode Kielder 100 and Relentless 24 with an XR0 on the back – very good dry conditions tyre but I’m not too hopeful about its mud/wet conditions performance.

MrSmith
    Free Member

the 2.35 jones i have looks the perfect size, smaller than a rubber queen 2.2 (not put on rim yet) but the mud-x 2.0 i looked at in evans was tiny. i’l be using them on stan’s flows which will possibly give them a wider shape?

why did bontrager stop making these tyres?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Don’t know, but the replacements have a lot to live up to. Some people reckon the sidewalls are weak but so far I’ve not had a problem in that regard (though I have torn one near the bead due to whacking the rim on a rock)

Bimbler
    Free Member

I think I have – I’ve still got a pile of tyres left over from my 26er days think I have a a couple of Bonty ACX 2.2s, some hardly used Schwalbe RR/NN combo in 2.1 and some others including a hardly used Continental Cross Country. If you’re interested I’ll dig the Bonty’s out.

MrSmith
    Free Member

yes if it’s not too much trouble to have a look.
    a 2.2 will be fine because it could be the same size as my 2.35 (due to them changing the size on the sidewall but not the tyre) if it’s smaller then it can go in the back. i will be using them tubeless but i think they were all TLR apart from the cheap wire bead ones?

snakebite
    Free Member

Got 2.2 XR4’s onthe hardtail and 2.4’s on the full susser, I think they are great tyres and I’ve tried loads!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Hi I’ve had a root around and I have two ACX 2.2 in TLR variety one quite worn but still lots of life left, the other less worn loads of life left, I’ve snapped a couple of pictures of each if you want me to send you them – you can email me on my email in profile if you wish.

MrSmith
    Free Member

YHM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘bontager XR4 compared to jones ACX’ is closed to new replies.