• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • bono and tax
  • tunners
    Free Member

bono on tax

Has this been done yet?

jamj1974

Unfortunately he is probably right. Fair levels of corporate taxation are a global problem needing a global solution. I can’t see a time where nations will work together effectively enough to avoid the movement of organisations and their transactions to prevent this. We need really a single global tax rate – preferably one which is adjusted taking account low local wages to really pull people out of poverty…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Musicians, actors and authors have massive tax breaks in Ireland so not surprising to see Bono supporting government tax policy. I should also mention they just tied in with Apple to give away their attest album (in return for payment rumoured to be circa $100m)

Irish tax policy is stealing money from other EU nations and needs to be knocked on the head. The jobs created arent real, as soon as Dell got a better tax deal (from Poland) they left. Apple employs a few 100 in Cork at the cost of billions lost in taxes to other EU nations

rebel12
    Free Member

Bono, who has been nominated for the Nobel peace prize and was given an honorary knighthood by the Queen in 2007 in recognition of his work campaigning against extreme poverty

Whilst flying the world, sipping expensive champagne in his private jet 😕

Kuco

I wish bono would just **** off the face of the earth the self-righteous arse wipe.

Junkyard
    Free Member

after donating his personal billion to the needy causes he lectures piss poor people and governments [ whose tax he avoids paying]

And [ may the lord have mercy on both our souls] what jamb said.

jambalaya
    Free Member

JY, I think we agreed that eventually we would agree on something 🙂

antigee

personally I quite like the idea of making the bike forum into a tax haven – looking forward to Bono asking how to avoid paying VAT importing a frame from the US

coatesy
    Free Member

I’ve just heard he’s making a new board game called Bonopoly, it’s just like Monopoly, but the streets have no name. IGMC.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Some of what he says makes perfect sense. Ireland had few natural sources of competitive advantage so (like many other countries) it created them. Other economies do exactly the same thing and no one blinks.

He could have mentioned having interest rates set at the wrong level for a sustained period.

Klunk
    Free Member

IR should total up lost tax revenue the collect it back the next year with variable VAT, see how apple gets on trying to sell an ipad air @ £1500 😉

binners

I propose a new high rate, bell end tax to be levied on the likes of Bono.

El-bent
    Free Member

Irish tax policy is stealing money from other EU nations

What, like Belguim did with France? 😉

I find that a bit rich considering that we are once again dropping our corporation tax rate. I thought this was part of the “competition” you deluded righties wanted. Of course the reduction in tax income will have to be paid for…that’s what the poor are there for eh?

Unfortunately he is probably right. Fair levels of corporate taxation are a global problem needing a global solution. I can’t see a time where nations will work together effectively enough to avoid the movement of organisations and their transactions to prevent this. We need really a single global tax rate – preferably one which is adjusted taking account low local wages to really pull people out of poverty…

Until capitalism changes to work for the majority and not a minority on this planet, it will not change.

mefty
    Free Member

He is absolutely right. Before they introduced low corporate tax, much of their well educated workforce left to pursue their carrers elsewhere, the low tax rate brought capital and employers to Ireland so the brain drain was reduced so the country benefitted more. As with any supply side reform of this type, you don’t determine who comes, but whilst some employers will go if offered better incentives others will stay.

How a low rate fits in with the expected economic integration within the Euro currency area is another matter.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘bono and tax’ is closed to new replies.