Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Bonfires in NI
  • kimbers

Think cranberry might have been standing a bit close and inhaled too much burning tyre?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9K_hMsrwRA[/video]

😀

rmacattack
    Free Member

lol, that video pretty much sums up their ghettos and mentally.

somafunk

How did they get that back to being straight again at the top ? What marvellous arts and crafts the locals manage to create with the most primitive of materials.

Just goes to show you what can be done by a primitive culture, albeit with modern tools such as a stacker…..

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Tidy work, dumb ideas.

cranberry
    Free Member

Thank you for your concern Kimbers, but much as I like a good bonfire in the garden, I’ve never taking to sniffing tyres, burning or otherwise.

I have no love of the Orange Order – the only time I came across them was when I lived near the centre of Glasgow and wanted to walk into Sauchiehall street and found that my route was full of flutes and drums. I walked a couple of streets over from them so that no one thought I was with them and I could escape the sound of knuckles scraping on the tarmac. I just find it strange that the usual suspects who would defend minority cultures seem to get all sniffy regarding Scottish/Northern Irish protestantism.

It just smacks of double standards.

seosamh77
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9K_hMsrwRA
    haha, that’s brilliant! 😆

gordimhor

Despite disagreeing with just about everything the Orange Order stand for I’d absolutely defend anyone’s right to peaceful assembly and to march peacefully. Including the Orange Order that would mean no marching through catholic areas,no stopping outside known Catholic’s homes in any area and no inciting hatred by songs or any other means. I
    The Orange order doesn’t have a monopoly on the hatred and bigotry.Having said that I’d be gobsmacked if the Orangemen or women would extend the same tolerance to me

jimjam
    Free Member

cranberry

I just find it strange that the usual suspects who would defend minority cultures seem to get all sniffy regarding Scottish/Northern Irish protestantism.

It just smacks of double standards.

Quite right. If swift and decisive action isn’t taken then there’s a very real chance that this gentle indigenous culture may lose their status as part of the religious majority, which could well lead to them losing their position of being the only religious denomination represented by the DUP, the largest party in the Stormont assembly. Left unprotected they might even see their tiny 70% majority in the police force fade away to nothing, and indeed without a concerted effort to pool their vast financial resources we could see a situation occurring where farmland falls into the hands of catholics.

binners

It’s about as relevant as commemorating the battle of Waterloo.

And we don’t do that. Why not? Well why would you?

It’s just a festival of divisive sectatianism. Pure and simple. And it has absolutely no place in the 21st century. It looked hopelessly outdated in the 20th

Time to move on people

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s a strange coincidence that across social media, swivel-eyed Tory nut-jobs are rushing to defend their Orange brethren. Any idea why that might be? Trying to work it out myself.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s a piss up is what it is Binners, an excuse for a load of retards to get bladdered and cause bother.

For my sins, I’ve been a Rangers fan all my days, but I (along with most reasonably thinking of my fellow fans) really hate the stuff that these people attach to the club. It’s a load of shite, our manager and many of our players are Roman Catholic FFS.

The head of the orange order in Scotland was interviewed by big John Beattie on radio recently, it was embarrassing.

I wish the whole bloody lot of them, on both sides, would just bloody give it a rest and grow up.

unknown
    Free Member

For my sins, I’ve been a Rangers fan all my days

So who do you support now? 😉

Without wanting to have a pop at you personally, I don’t understand how someone could disown that part of the rangers support and still remain a fan. From the outside looking in it’s far from a small minority and the sectarism seems like a huge part of the club and fans identity. For what it’s worth I’d say the same about the other lot as well. If it wasn’t so ugly it would be comical as it’s got nothing to do with football whatsoever.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Cranberry, its nothing to do with double standards. It’s bigotry through and through, why defend the indefensible? Try actually living in it and then tell us we’re being unreasonable. And FWIW neither NoBeer nor myself have singled any group out in our condemnation.

That said, OO would have been banned as a terrorist group years ago if it had been a thing. It’s not just marching and bonfires they’ve been involved in…

seosamh77
    Free Member

squirrelking – Member
    That said, OO would have been banned as a terrorist group years ago if it had been a thing. It’s not just marching and bonfires they’ve been involved in…

As would the UK government! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

I wish the whole bloody lot of them, on both sides, would just bloody give it a rest and grow up.tbh nobeer, that’s just you regurgitating the 2 sides of the same coin nonsense I’ve heard all my life.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Btw I also think the whole sectarian thing in Scotland is a pile of nonsense tbh, something for the chattering classes to bump their gums about. Which is shameful. It hides the real underlying problem which is essentially racism, intolerance and quite frankly, ignorance.

Is that exclusive to rangers or the orange order, no. I’ve even came to blows with Celtic fans with it in the past, and would do so again should it present itself in the same way, ie someone getting personally abused in front of me.

It’s not even exclusive to any group, but it is an underlying and intrinsic part of your base orange culture. But that paints too black and white a picture to just blame them. You get it even from people with their wee comments and hushed tones when talking about certain things.

And tbh it’s far from even just a Scottish problem as we all know it’s UK wide. A lot of people are just intolerant of what isn’t them. Bloody sad imo. Diversity is a wonderful thing. But in Scotland it’s convenient to package it up as sectarianism. The real problem is societal intolerance, something we should all be concerned about. The likes of OO Neanderthals and their EDL brethren and their sense of empowerment is really just a symptom of wider intolerance. Fix the wider issue and these groups will disappear in to obscurity imo.

Obviously in the like of NI it’s a more complex issue. They basically have to appease certain elements and there’s a much longer game to be played, that shouldn’t apply in Britain imo. But people need to to wake up to the problem.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Sorry Joe but you’re talking shite. Sure, a lot of them are racists but by the same token a lot of them are straight up indoctrinated into it, certainly from my fathers generation at least. That’s what makes the OO worse, the existence of a state sanctioned* hate group.

And yes, there are two sides to the same coin, or are you going to tell us that one side is blameless in all this?

*in certain areas at least

seosamh77
    Free Member

Blameless? Far from it, I can quite easily talk about “my sides” failings. But one side has a far bigger problem.

But, I gen up think there’s far too much made of it all though and the problem is more a wider societal one than of green and orange, it’s really not 1960 or 70 anymore. Orange culture is just an easy place for these issues to manifest themselves.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I disagree, both sides have the same problem but one happens to have a prominent members club.

stcolin
    Free Member

Ah, the place that I call home. I moved to Manchester 3 years ago and it’s the one thing I absolutely do not miss.

But you know, I grew up in a pretty strong loyalist area. I remember feeling safe as a kid and loving the 12th of July. Got to make a band pole and everything. But I don’t really remember thinking as a kid what it was about. I definitely remember the hatred, though. Maybe I turned out alright and caught onto to it as a young adult. my mates and I used it as an excuse for a piss up when we were younger. Now most of my friends at home leave Belfast and get away for a few days over that period.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

How wonderful to see that the republicans aren’t going to let the loyalists out do them on the bonfire stakes and disruption in NI

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40856210

Need a slap the lot of them

scandal42
    Free Member

Council should just leave the place as it was the morning after.

Knuckle dragging f**ktards

kimbers

The joys of sectarianism

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Bonfires in NI’ is closed to new replies.