Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Bonfires in NI
  • mucker

Just watched an article about dodgy donations to the DUP to fund the pro Brexit campaign, picture cuts to massive bonfires ready to be lit to celebrate bigotry made with pallets and tyres, hundreds of them FFS.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It is a strange wee province indeed, in many ways.

cranberry
    Free Member

Massive bonfires ready to be lit in a celebration of a rich and vibrant culture ?

How very dare they ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mucker

Burning tyres is illegal and for a good reason.

Northwind

Aye, we should stick to burning catholics

wwaswas

in a celebration of a rich and vibrant culture ?

what’s rich and cultural about the Battle of the Boyne?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

12 pages, more biscuits than the mcvities factory, abortion, gay cakes and a kneecapping.

mucker

Is that a prediction or an itinerary?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

maccruiskeen

Is that a prediction or an itinerary?

Its the next Guy Ritchie film isn’t it?

Cougar

Burning tyres is illegal and for a good reason.

One of them is usually very close to the petrol tank.

mucker

I think it’s you that’s on fire tonight Cougar.

jimjam
    Free Member

mucker

massive bonfires ready to be lit to celebrate bigotry made with pallets and tyres, hundreds of them FFS.

Exactly the same as every other year then. Quite a few near, or even on roads which obviously destroys them requiring yearly resurfacing. House window frames, oil tanks and guttering regularly melt due to the heat, to say nothing of the giant sprawling piles of crap that lie around all through June which go toward the bonefire. Yes it’s wonderful.

cranberry – Member

Massive bonfires ready to be lit in a celebration of a rich and vibrant culture ?

Getting pissed and listening to scooter while burning Irish flags and effigies of catholics is rich and vibrant culture now? 😆

project
    Free Member

Doesnt the same thing happen in england every november, a huge waste of resourses and a high pollution risk

CountZero

Doesnt the same thing happen in england every november, a huge waste of resourses and a high pollution risk

Well, unless all of the bonfires involve use pressure treated timber, it’s unlikely they’ll come close to what’s produced by stacks of burning tyres, which produce all sorts of carcinogens.
    Still, breathing that crap in might result in an appropriate Darwinism among those responsible.

kimbers

cranberry – Member

I see that rich and vibrant culture is truly worth celebrating

& definitely not an excuse for sectarian shitstirring

John Finucane? @johnfinucane Jul 11
    More
    My posters have been placed on top of a bonfire. I have reported this hate crime & theft to PSNI to allow them to act urgently

seosamh77
    Free Member

We should have been playing Linfield tonight, but wasn’t allowed on the 12th, so it’s on Friday at 5pm. We’ve not taken any tickets.

jimjam
    Free Member

Build giant bonefires on public land, destroy property and infrastructure, endanger life, call for the murder of a group of people. Hard to imagine the police and councils not just tolerating, but actively facilitating this “vibrant culture” anywhere else in the uk.

bruneep

The close proximity to property is mind boggling

Pigface
    Free Member

Such a strange place

Waderider
    Free Member

I emigrated.

MrOvershoot

I got caught up in the “marching season stupidity” on my way into work this morning.

I did point out to the police motorcycle rider that tried to stop me turning into our site we were trying to run a business that relied on distribution & if I got together with a few mates and blocked the road with our bikes we would be forcibly removed in no time at all.

Oh Liverpool BTW

CountZero

Pity we don’t have flying boat water bombers for fighting forest fires…
    Just imagine:

v8ninety

Bizarre human behaviour. Can’t see any sensible justification for it at all.

sweepy
    Free Member

I agree with everything you say in your last post jimjam, but you have to admit they put the effort in, those bonfires are **** HUGE.

ElShalimo

Like all minor criminals if they put as much effort into doing something constructive, they’d be quite successful in life.

project
    Free Member

Huge waste of expensive blue chep pallets and other un branded pallets, have they never heard of the Grenfell fire and the proximity of some of those pallet stacks could easily start another one, thankfully therressa has promised them billions in aid for replacement pallets and fire lighters as well

kimbers

Ok not NI

But for realz?

squirrelking
    Free Member

OO.

Colour me shocked.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I really hate the idea of banning things, but….

All that shit, from both sides. Needs to be reigned in. Grow up people.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Indeed, its a **** embarrassment however you know as well as I do that the west coast (dickhead) mentality would never let it go without a fight, never mind in NI.

gordimhor

I am from Ayr. Half of my family are Protestant, half are Catholic. I was a child in the 60s and 70s brought up not to give a toss which denomination or faith you adhered to. Never appreciated what forward looking free thinkers my parents were.

jimjam
    Free Member

gordimhor – Member

I am from Ayr. Half of my family are Protestant, half are Catholic. I was a child in the 60s and 70s brought up not to give a toss which denomination or faith you adhered to. Never appreciated what forward looking free thinkers my parents were.

That must have been hard. In Scotland.

sbob
    Free Member

Build giant bonefires on public land, destroy property and infrastructure, endanger life, call for the murder of a group of people. Hard to imagine the police and councils not just tolerating, but actively facilitating this “vibrant culture” anywhere else in the uk.

Best you avoid certain parts of Sussex around the 5th November, and whatever you do don’t holiday anywhere near Valencia between 15th and 19th March. 😉

gordimhor

Didn’t really impinge on me till my mid teens. I grew up a protestant Celtic fan. Went to mass with my cousins who lived nearby as my parents knew I would skip the church (just like they did)if left on my own. Meantime my uncle and cousins on the other side would be at Ibrox as often as they could. It’s long past time we left all the sectarian bollocks behind but unfortunately it seems to be growing at this moment. I hope that’s not a long term trend

rmacattack
    Free Member

this is what happens when people are brought up by certain traits. never travel , never aspire and integrate. i’m from n.ireland myself, we have been brought up with no religion or colours. i have friends from all walks and different countries.our family have all got a profession and our lives don’t depend on a week in july every year. theres also the other side as well i won’t argue that. but the 12th seems to bring out the real racist, bigot, neanderthals.

there’s a saying here that you book your holiday abroad so you’re away for the 12th as the whole country grounds to a halt for ‘tradition’.

jimjam
    Free Member

sbob

Best you avoid certain parts of Sussex around the 5th November, and whatever you do don’t holiday anywhere near Valencia between 15th and 19th March. [/quote]

If you think that there is anything remotely analogous between bonefires in Northern Ireland and Guy Fawkes, other than something being set alight, then I’m afraid you have absolutely no insight or no clue as to what goes on in Northern Ireland or the implications.

Perhaps if all Guy Fawkes bonefires were built by the EDL using stolen materials, positioned on major roads, car parks or in close proximity to houses and then effigies of racial minorities and slogans along the lines of “kill all immigrants” or “death to non whites” were emblazoned on them, and this was all done in full view of, and indeed with the co-opertaion of the police and local councils, then you might have a point.

sbob
    Free Member

Giant bonfires on public land? Check.
    Destroy property and infrastructure? Check.
    Endanger life? Check.
    Call for the murder of a group of people? Check.

I’m not trying to downplay the implications of what goes on in Northern Ireland, merely pointing out that shenanigans still exist on the mainland.

No Popery! 😀

cranberry
    Free Member

The cultural imperialists on here who imagine that they can suggest that one culture is less valid or of less worth than another really do need to receive a re-education in multiculturalism.

How did they get that back to being straight again at the top ? What marvellous arts and crafts the locals manage to create with the most primitive of materials.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Bonfires in NI’ is closed to new replies.