Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bonding plastic to plastic…anything as strong as mechanical fixing?
  • cjr61

Bit late to the party but just got a Motorola Defy Mini to mess about with some maps. Any ideas on glues I could use to bond the SRAM quick view mount (glass/nylon) to the back of the phone? Will the old trusty Araldite work with these plastics?

Thanks in advance

cloudnine
    Free Member

Sikaflex

prettygreenparrot

Sikaflex sounds like it’ll work. Araldite will. If it’s the right kind of plastic then FloPlast solvent cement is excellent. Loctite for plastics is good for some.

I’d be inclined to go for a mechanical fixing TBH.

andyl
    Free Member

If it is nylon then nit is quite hard to glue and resistant to a lot of solvents.

This might work as it looks to be formulated for plastics: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_plstc_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Plastic-Bonder.htm

I’d just try roughing up the surface a bit and trying anything you have first before buying something. Try epoxy or silicone based glues

edit: actually you might be best to go for a pressure sensitive acrylic adhesive pad – eg the black rubbery ones used to fix car badges, rear view mirrors etc.

cjr61

Thanks for the thoughts. Might have to do some playing!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bonding plastic to plastic…anything as strong as mechanical fixing?’ is closed to new replies.