Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bonding Ali to Steel
  • Jerome
    Free Member

Anyone recommend a glue that will bond an aluminium sleeve into the seat tube of a steel frame.
    Just discoverd that an old frame I have has had this fix done to it, after I assume there had been a crack at the top of the seat tube.
    Will try and get some pics later.

The sleeve is a good interfernce fit, and I am favouring glue as do not want to strip bike and not worth spending lots of ££'s on it.

Cheers
    J.

fennerhorne
    Free Member

I tried once but he fell off, no, no, serioulsy; I think epoxy resin used to be used on some alu frames (I had an old Trek 6500? – very smoothe joins), or superglue, I guess, as it sounds like you are just bolstering the top of the seattube using the shim as reinforcement and it's not load bearing – directly anyway.

Jerome
    Free Member

It needs some strength to avoid sideways movement of saddle. Not load bearing though as shim is wider at top and sits over the top of the seat tube. Think the paint was holding it together previously .

tthew

I don't think that the normal sorts of glues that you buy from B&Q would cut it. We used to use this stuff Loctite structural adhesiveat work for gluing metal vibration accelerometers to metal machinery, was very reliable, but is a bit pricy.

Having said all that, perhaps a phone call to an adhesives manufacturer tech department would be better than relying on amateur advice, might even elicit a free sample if you are good at blagging.

mavisto
    Free Member

Check out Star Loc Adhesives.

I've used their super glue and epoxy. The industrial strength epoxy is clear, quite thin but seems to work a treat.

coatesy
    Free Member

I may have the wrong end of the stick here, but from your description it just sounds like a reducer shim to allow a less obscure size seatpost to be fitted, normally a tight fit but not bonded in. Can't see why they'd use ally if it was for reinforcement.

brant
    Free Member

I don't think that the normal sorts of glues that you buy from B&Q would cut it.

I think 2 pack Araldite would piss it. It's nuts that stuff.

It's important to make sure it's degreased really well though.

The longer cure-time stuff is stronger, but even the rapid is crazy strong.

Lots of surface area to go out = goodtimes.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

If its an interference fit you don't need glue.

Jerome
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps.
    The seat collar sits on the ali sleeve so needs to be bonded..
    Maybe not interference – tight though.
    Will go with plan A which was the araldite.
    Yeah !!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bonding Ali to Steel’ is closed to new replies.