Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bombproof wheels/rims
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

So, I’m fairly heavy and I ride as fast as I can, in the peak mainly.

I have Easton haven wheels that to my knowledge are regarded as being really strong & I run relatively high pressures (circ 40psi) despite this have dented the rims a couple of times, once quite badly.

I have managed to “fix” them using a G clamp, some blocks of wood and a lot of intrepidation.

Now inevitably someone will come along and say, ride better…

But assuming that I cant, and still want to go quick, can someone recommend a bombproof rim that I can still ride up the hills? Or is it the case that if I am denting Havens, I’m doing something drastically wrong!?

xiphon
    Free Member

Perhaps consider some ‘help’ (in the form of tuition) ?

Why assume you ‘can’t ride any better’ ?

thomthumb
    Free Member

dual ply tyres?

geetee1972
    Free Member

OP I can absolutely empathise with you. I’m also heavy and ride in the same style and while I am happy to have a coaching session (I have one coming up in May), the idea that you’re going to solve your problem with some coaching doesn’t wash with me.

In the peak there is no way I could get away without running a dual ply tyre at least on the back; anything less and I would pinch flat constantly. Mostly I run dual ply on the front as well.

A heavier tyre will allow you to reduce that 40 psi pressure (which will give you more control) and it will protect the rim better as well. It’s six of one and half a dozen of the other as basically you could keep the Havens but add a chunk of weight via the tyres.

If you still want something that is light but bombproof, then while they are far more expensive than people have been used to paying, carbon rims are the way to go.

Yes, they are silly expensive but my experience of the rims at least is that they are able to withstand an incredible amount of abuse.

I’ve run Carbon Havens and have had problems with spokes snapping but the rims are basically bombproof. I’ve now gone over to Enves built traditionally as the spoke count is higher and I think that’s key to longevity for the wheel.

I’ve slammed the Haven Carbon rims many times, pinched flat many times and the rims are still without any kind of deformation.

Outside of carbon exotica, you should be able to run a Stans Flow EX without problems. This would be a light set up as you can run a DP tyre tubeless thereby saving a bit of weight on the set up.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve always ran Mavic or Stans- Mavic resist dents much better, the Stans dent alot more easily.

xiphon
    Free Member

‘coaching’ – that was the word I meant to say, not ‘tuition’.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

xiphon – you can allways ride better, but most of my issues have happend withough any notable “traumatic” hit a big pointy rock type events, just hammered down the wide, rocky decents in the peak at speed and ended up with the damage. The only way I can see to prevent this is to go slower, that obviously I dont want to do…

also I’m Steve Pete and cant ride any better (sssh)

Twin
    Free Member

Mavic crossmax SX. Light and bombproof.

honourablegeorge

Yep, those Enves are bombproof

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

geetee1972

good advice, cheers, I think i will prob get a dual ply minion and give it a go, its a shame they dont do a UST version though.

Was planning on running the havens until unusable so perhaps the superstar carbon AM’s will be out by then to give a go…

I have been on a couple of skills courses and it usually ends up with me riding as the demonstrator, while the instructor teaches the others what to do….

the last weekend we did, one of the instructors an I went out the Sunday afternoon by ourselves onto the “black route” I got some advice on lines for specific tricky sections, but no advice on this mythical change that will make my riding style the floaty light one that people allude to, any tips welcome 😉

xiphon
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to learn how to ‘scan’ the terrain in front of you better (for a smoother line choice), and yes, this can be taught by others – seasoned DH racers have an eye for this.

Perhaps consider a course (1-on-1) with an ex-racer turned coach?

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

xiphon

Any suggestions on providers/who?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

UST tyre, EX721 rim, supple legs.

Otherwise you need to run a DH tyre and/or rim.

doris
    Free Member

I have found Mavic 721 rims very strong and they aren’t too bad weight wise, similar to a 321, not sure on the ease of tubeless setup? but combined with a dual ply tyre on the back they have been very robust for me on my dh bike, alps/scotland,spain/wales etc

I can’t decide between putting my set of wheels with these rims off my old dh bike onto my covert or stick with the 321’s? both sets on hope hubs, so they are definately light enough for normal riding

gonzy
    Free Member

Any suggestions on providers/who?

according to the one planet adventure website, neil donoghue runs this type of course at Llandegla…

incidentally consider changing to a tyre with thicker sidewalls. i’ve been using Atomlab DHR rims and Atomlab Trailpimp rims and i’ve never had a problem with them.
    the rims are slightly heavier than others but i can still ride them all day.

xiphon
    Free Member

Ben Cathro – SickSkills.co.uk

Used to race DH at world cup level…

( There probably are more, just his name springs to mind, as I met him at Fort Bill Endurance last year )

xiphon
    Free Member

Ben Deakin – he’s down south. Current 2012 Southern Champion….

Chris Ball – Dirt School…

MrAgreeable

Dual ply DH tyres don’t prevent dents, even though they stop you pinch flatting. The back rim on my DH bike looks like a pie dish even though I’ve never pinched.

More tyre pressure and better technique.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Dual ply DH tyres don’t prevent dents

That’s true, but they do help and when using them on a trail bike (rather than a DH bike) I think the outcome would be a significant reduction in dings.

Also, are you running DT Swiss Cheese rims? They are notorious for being designed to deform so that it reduces the likelihood of pinch flatting. Racers would rather ding the rim than flat in a race run.

Yep, those Enves are bombproof

As for this, it’s a bit fatuous to post a picture of a single broken rim in order to refute a claim of strength. Of course Enve carbon rims aren’t indestructible; nothing is, not even a Nicolai 😀

I’ve yet to use my Enve wheels (big crash last October means I’m still mending) but I will be happy to update the hive on my experiences of them and so far, all the reports I’ve read of long term testing indicate that the rim is every bit as stiff and strong as the carbon Haven, which has been amazingly resilient even if the spokes haven’t.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

geetee1972 –

If your anxious to find out how they behave and don’t want to risk finding out too late for warranty if your enve wheels will end up like the ones in the picture, I will volunteer to run them as test rims for you….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bombproof wheels/rims’ is closed to new replies.