Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Bomber time……… my wife and two other ladies threatened with violence
  • Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I'm prepared to be corrected by someone who knows better, however:

Rights of way do not "lapse", they have to be extinguished. Unless they have been extinguished they will (should) be recorded on the Definitive Map held by the local authority (often accessible on line). NB: there maybe two copies a "working" one and the "original", absolutely definitive one. The latter often looks like a well worn piece of flimsy paper that's been stuffed in and out of pockets / wallets / etc far too many times. "Original" has precedence over "working".

As someone else has said, whether a highway is adopted or not is not strictly relevant to whether there is a right of access over it. Adoption (to paraphrase) indicates / assigns who is responsible for the highways upkeep, maintenance etc. The Highways Department in the local authority are worth consulting in this respect.

I stand to be corrected if anyone knows better.

As for ranting on the internet about the outrageuos treatment of your missus / her mates. Pfft! If you were that pissed off you'd have gone round and done something about it (whether it was the right thing to do or not).

Also, as others have said, just because there's a sign doesn't mean it's legal / appropriate / correct. That's why you need to check with the Definitive Map / Highways Dept. Some folks once diverted a BW out the back of Cookridge / Leeds. Lovely homemade signs, alternative route offered etc. However, local authority sorted it out because they had no right ot do so and had not gone through the correct process.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

If the land owner was making threats of violence then report the moron to the police. Private land or not I'm sure they'll want to have a word with him.

epicyclo

Why not just move north a bit and enjoy freedom?

This right of access business needs to be sorted in England. Why aren't you folks petitioning your MPs?

It's right that has been stolen from you. Get it back.

meehaja
    Free Member

Easy, rip down the "private" sign, replace with suitable slanderous comment (is it slander or libel? I can never remember the difference) Perhaps a suggestion about said owners relationship with his livestock? Yeah its technically illegal and wont make much difference, but vigilanty action is about feeling better, not actually righting wrongs!

MrOvershoot

I thought it was going to be another lane in Cheshire that leads into Delamere!

But cutting along the lane you put up what do I see!

Not me BTW

nbt

ah but the road in question is on *off* Tirley Lane, is it not?

coffeeking
    Free Member

This right of access business needs to be sorted in England. Why aren't you folks petitioning your MPs?

Funny isnt it, as a legal alien in Scotland I love the access rights, but I'm not sure I'd be so keen if I had some land people wanted to walk all over. The rights don't extend to land immediately around a property as far as I can tell (camping in someones garden isn't allowed for example) so there's no point going down a private road if it passes a house that would equate to walking through someones garden. On the larger scale it's about freedom to roam etc, but on the smaller scale its about privacy and people are oddly entitled to both I suppose.

Regardless, that sign looks like it related to the field, there's no gate on the road and if they want to claim it's private land and stop people going on it they should make it more obvious. As adults the women should be able to take his threats in context and not get so wound up about it.

Esme
    Free Member

Isn't there an interesting sign at the other end of that private lane?
    For the new Delamere Loop bridleway?
    (Map download from that page)

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Get yersel away up there in the dead of night wi' a tin of bright paint and a big brush, and create a large 'cock'n'baws' icon, as elaborate as you have time for, with the head pointing right up his private lane!

That'll teach him.

duir
    Free Member

Go round and give him a rigorous debrief, then beat him to death…………….that'll learn him. 😆

Russell96
    ampthill

Err edit editted I got the law wrong

Diane
    Free Member

Haha – Junkyard !

Just had a look on the OS map, what's wrong with the bridleway 300m down the road?

tthew

Yup. That bridleway is ace, going down from Tirly Lane, especially if you have a slower companion with a mobile to give you the 'all clear' from the bottom.

As is the section of Sandstone Trail that runs down to the same road from Summertrees cafe, (that's naughty though) 😈

Russell96

I've nearly come a cropper a few times on that Bridleway those bends really catch you out at speed

tthew

Yeah, ace aren't they! (but it's walkers or horses then the fence and big ditch on the right that have always bothered me more 😆 )

Jamie
    Free Member

I'm guessing the OP is not a spontaneous type.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Bomber time……… my wife and two other ladies threatened with violence’ is closed to new replies.