Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Bombardier trains for Crossrail
  • aP
    Free Member

How political a decision was that then?
    Good news for Derby though.

andyfla
    Free Member

Marvellous, cant believe any other country wouldn’t give the contract to their indigenous producers when the only diff was credit rating.
    Politicians are a bunch on muppets for getting this wrong in the first place

thegeneralist
    Free Member

awesome.
    I’m pleased.

Philby

Great news.

ThePinkster

Hopefully some parts will be built in Crewe too, which would be good news for he area.

peterfile
    Free Member

How political a decision was that then?

It wasn’t.

aP
    Free Member

It wasn’t

Really?

Drac

Huzzah!

peterfile
    Free Member

You can’t swing a £1bn rolling stock competition on political motivations (in the UK anyway)

If Hitachi or CAF successfully challenge then I might change my mind, but until then it’s a fair competition IMO.

oldboy
    Free Member

Great news, but which other EU countries with an established railway manufacturing industry would regard this as anything other than business as usual, I wonder.

aP
    Free Member

There’s an interesting discussion on this over on London Reconnections. Particularly about the ultimate ownership of European manufacturers.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve read that link, there’s some interesting stuff in there, but lots of speculation and some completely wrong bits. I’d pick it apart, but it would be inappropriate to do so and I wouldn’t fancy my name still appearing on the roll at the end of this year 🙂

Frankers
    Free Member

I work for Hitachi… why is it so great we didn’t get the order?

mt
    Free Member

I was under the impression that Bombardier were a Canadian company.

derek_starship
    Free Member

It’s great news but it also reminds me of the fact that our locomotive and rolling stock industries along with controls, comm’s etc. were reduced to nothing in the early 90s. Some of the greatest in their field; GEC, BREL, Metro Cammel etc.

peterfile
    Free Member

I work for Hitachi…

rail europe frankers?

LHS
    Free Member

Great news that a Canadian manufacturer who hold the government to ransom and who have no pedigree on delivering anything on time or to budget gets the contract.

mefty
    Free Member

I think it wrong to say it isn’t a political decision. Under EU rules you are allowed to take social and other factors into account, as well as the economics. It is just historically we haven’t, the present government when Bombardier lost their last high profile contract, Thameslink, said that they were hamstrung by the tendering process created by the previous government which restricted comparison to economics, despite EU allowing other factors in. They said this was wrong and said it would not happen again in future tenders. That was a political decision and a very good one.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Just as long as the coaches have aircon, I’ll be happy.

Sunny Brentwood to Bank in 30mins or about an extra 15 mins in bed !!

Oh and about what? 10-15% on my house price… thanks vmuch

neninja
    Free Member

I work for Hitachi… why is it so great we didn’t get the order?

Agreed. Hitachi are currently building a massive new factory a couple of miles from me that will bring loads of jobs to the North East.

peterfile
    Free Member

Under EU rules you are allowed to take social and other factors into account, as well as the economics. It is just historically we haven’t

It’s not that straight forward. Also, we have done it historically, lots.

mefty
    Free Member

It is a sodding post on a cycling website, not a legal treatise.

aP
    Free Member

But you forget, he’s a lawyer…

peterfile
    Free Member

Woah there cowboy!

What’s with the attitude?

You’re allowed to give your opinion, but I’m not?

aP
    Free Member

Stop being so touchy.

peterfile
    Free Member

😆

mefty
    Free Member

Probably should have added a smiley and yes I know he is a lawyer, hence my use of “legal treatise”, the essential thrust of my post was other factors can be taken into account, which are clearly political in nature.

oldboy
    Free Member

The French wouldn’t understand this thread, methinks!

matt_outandabout

Why the love for Bombardier?
    OK, what springs to mind when you hear “hitachi”?
    Now, what nationalistic and heartwarming images does the word” Bombardier” conjure up?
    It is an image thing, including the sympathy vote.

KonaTC

Thankfully this time a train related tax payer funded contract let to support jobs in the UK.

Just like they do in the rest of Europe! viva La France, German efficiency, Italian flare, etc, etc, etc

aP
    Free Member

I’m not a rail engineer, or for that matter ‘an enthusiast’, but I do design the bits that people use to get to and from the trains, and as such (excepting the fact the the government has changed the procurement rules after Thameslink, and Siemens walked away), the main benefit of the Canadian German British Bombardier contract ensures that at least some of the design for the trains is carried out in the UK, rather than, say, Hitachi’s which’ll be assembling trains manufactured elsewhere (to my understanding – happy to be proven wrong).

peterfile
    Free Member

Probably should have added a smiley and yes I know he is a lawyer, hence my use of “legal treatise”, the essential thrust of my post was other factors can be taken into account, which are clearly political in nature.

I think, on thameslink, they just got it wrong. It wasn’t so much the political drivers that got it wrong, they just screwed up putting together the competition so that another company was able to win. At the same time thameslink was going on, we had another reach preferred bidder where the emphasis on social/community benefits was huge. I don’t think these decisions (certainly at that time) are driven from central government – for example one transport authority would always push on price, while another might be heavier on design. There was too much inconsistency across huge numbers of authority clients and how they structured their compeitions for politics to have too much influence.

I agree with you that politics can weigh in and say “wow, we don’t want that to ever happen again…make sure that it doesn’t” and procurements will take more of an advantage of social/community benefits requirements (if that’s what they felt is necessary to appease the voters)…but they were always there to begin with, some just chose not to put as much emphasis on them. With Crossrail, they didn’t screw up the competition. They knew who they wanted to win, knew they couldn’t afford another screw up and made sure the procurement was watertight. IMO that would have happened regardless of the politicians wading in.

At the end of the day, if you’re weighted at 95% price and 5% quality, it doesn’t matter how great you social benefits are if Le Froggies come in and undercut you 🙂

piemonster

OK, what springs to mind when you hear “hitachi”?

A 1980s VCR. Why, what does it do for you?

Now, what nationalistic and heartwarming images does the word” Bombardier” conjure up?

Rik Mayall in a silly outfit is the closest I can think of. Not sure it’s relevant.

If you mean Bombardier the train manufacturer. I think of a Canadian owned manufacturer. No real heartwarming nationalism there either.

mefty
    Free Member

I take your point but the authority clients are political too, politics aren’t restricted to central government.

project
    Free Member

Lots of british train companies went out of buisnees due to lack of investment in new roolling stock we got the great hs, and under developed APTP, We lost BAYER PEACOCK, GEC, ENGLISH ELECTRIC, BTH, BREL, all the state owned rail companies, and many more, we got cheap and nasty Pacers, and Sprinters, Pendolinos courtesy of fiat, later sold to bombardier, and many other hopeless stock.

Now we are buying off the shelf trains, basicly carriges with under floor engines, or electric multiple units, no loco hauled stock as used to be the case.

gogg
    Free Member

It’s good news, MAYBE the tide is turning….

ninfan
    Free Member

The French wouldn’t understand this thread, methinks!

Agreed, theirs would be getting built in Romania and Morocco!

matt_outandabout

I think of a Canadian owned manufacturer. No real heartwarming nationalism there either.

I think that is irrelevant to most people who hear Bombardier and assume British.

aP
    Free Member

But most people would be wrong as its pronounced in a French manner (with a Canadian ‘eh?’ on the end). Its original name was L’Auto-Neige Bombardier Limitée, and it made snowmobiles.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Bombardier trains for Crossrail’ is closed to new replies.