Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bolt up/through rear hub conversion worthwhile?
  • MSP

I was considering the bolt up or bolt through conversion for my rear proII hub.
    Has anyone tried it? does it make a noticeable difference?

GW
    Free Member

it’ll make a huge difference if it doesn’t fit your frame

MSP

Why would it not fit the frame?

kimbers

if you have a multi pivot/flexy rear end it will

GW
    Free Member

if it fits the frame why don’t you have one already? 😕

BadlyWiredDog

If it’s 10mm it’ll fit standard drop-outs. Classic stw points scoring bobbins innit. And I found it made a small but noticeable difference to the back of an RC405, particularly through rookeries.

Northwind

Not much difference with mine really but then it’s got a pretty stiff swingarm already. I went with a 10mm bolt-through in one set of wheels and a 10mm bolt-in in the other and I can’t feel any difference between the two, though the wheel builds are different so it’s not that simple really.

People usually say it’s more secure, the bolt-in probably is I think but I don’t think a 10mm QR’s any more secure than a standard QR, unless the standard QR snaps. Never had that happen meself, maybe it’s a big problem but I’ve never heard it.

TBH having monkeyed about with it I’ll add it to the list of things not to get too fussed about. If you feel like you’ve got an issue with rear end stiffness it might help though.

takisawa2

10mm bolt up…yes, on my old Enduro it stiffened it up. But the Ventana is so stiff I cant tell the difference. On the Cotic Soul I had it served to show how flexy the frame was. It certainly looks nice & neat, & for SS duties it negates the need for a tensioner.
    The 10mm bolts are poor though, I’ve had 3 sets & they have all showed stress cracking from the hex broaching.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bolt up/through rear hub conversion worthwhile?’ is closed to new replies.