Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • bolt through at both ends?
  • Todchester
    Free Member

Hi I want a through axle at both ends end of my bike. I have hope pro2 hubs and an orange crush frame 2010 edition. I’m looking to upgrade (in my opinion) to a steel frame. Can I got bolt through at the back with the hubs? what do I need to look for in the new frame? What’s the jargon i need to spot? thanks for your helps forgive the spelling i am dyslexic 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

There’s some argument that the rear doesn’t necessarily benefit from a bolt through if the frame is good enough. That was Santa Cruz’s argument even with the Mk2 Nomad. Though interestingly with the Bronson and the new Nomad 650b… bolt through on them 😉

Personally with my Mk2 Nomad though I can’t see I’d notice the slightest difference in stiffness or whatever, and the wheel is thoroughly secure if done up right.

But can depend on the frame and what you’re riding. Pure DH, I’d be going bolt through.

p.s. There’s an option of a bolt through like with the DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt. It’s not really a bolt through in that it doesn’t bolt to the frame, but it’s a QR which you can get it in 10mm, works with a 10mm bolt through hub and does up in a slightly different way to a regular QR skewer. Looks nice and like a bolt through. Whether it makes it any better is another matter.

breadcrumb

You can convert the hub to a bolt in hub with two nice M10 stainless steel cap heads, not really bolt through but very secure and I’d imagine stiff.

tomhoward

There’s some argument that the rear doesn’t necessarily benefit from a bolt through if the frame is good enough. That was Santa Cruz’s argument even with the Mk2 Nomad. Though interestingly with the Bronson and the new Nomad 650b… bolt through on them

And the solo and, iirc, all the newer fs bikes.

+1 on the bolts for the hope hub, run them on my inbred SS, no complaints from me.

1981miked
    Free Member

I went bolt through rear on my Cotic Soul build. Just got a superstar 10mm through adaptor QR thingy. Not really sure if It make a difference but makes the wheels easier to get in and out as you just put the axle through the hub.

Looks good in Orange aswell.

Todchester
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys an girls 🙂 So the bolt through DT Swiss through bolt will that still need a non quick relies frame to attach it to? Or am I looking for any thing in perticular at the rear end of the frame?

deviant
    Free Member

I have a DT Swiss 10mm bolt through rear axle on my 45650b, no need for a bolt through frame, it just sits in the normal 10mm QR dropouts.

Whether it adds stiffness or not is negligible, I just wanted some added security at the back as I use the bike for uplift days/DH and didn’t want a QR coming undone or flipping open if it caught on anything.

ndthornton
    Free Member

If you have the pro 2 evo rear hubs then its easy to change to any axle standard just by changing the end caps. If you just have a standard pro 2 then its a real faff as you have to buy an expensive new axle, nock out the bearings and press in new ones (which is difficult to do on the rear).

I did it once to go to 10mm bolt through but when I changed frames to 15mm I decided to buy an evo hub instead.

Also I have heard that a 15mm axle on a standard Pro 2 can be vulnerable to snapping as the axle material has to be so thin. Evo’s have bigger bearings so no issues.

Todchester
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys an girls 🙂 So the bolt through DT Swiss through bolt will that still need a non quick relies frame to attach it to? Or am I looking for any thing in perticular at the rear end of the frame?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Regular QR drop out frame.

I’ve done this on my c456 frame. 135 QR drop outs, but wheel hub is a 135 x 10mm bolt through and I got a DT Swiss RWS bolt through. I asked a similar question recently and was given this suggestion, and works great.

reedspeed
    Free Member

So are you just wanting a stronger rear axle ?,if so
    I’ve done this by using a superstar 10 steel qr ,cheap & simple

munrobiker
    Free Member

There isn’t really much need for it on a hardtail, I would open up your choice of frames enormously and if the one you want happens to have a rear bolt through go for that.

kimbers

Its not that hard to do on the axle non evo pro2s, it helps if u have the tools (I’m in London if u wanted to borrow mine, but they are quite cheap anyway)
    But ime bolt through add stiffness if you ate riding big stuff, landing jumps at a wonky angle etc, basically if you’re a bit of a clumsy biffer like me

Todchester
    Free Member

Thanks Kimbers and crew yer pritty much I’m riding mmassive rocky tracks and more ” being interupted by the ground while faling” than landing jumps.

handyandy
    Free Member

another vote for the superstar 10 qr

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘bolt through at both ends?’ is closed to new replies.