Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bolt thru rears am I missing something obvious?
  • ceepers

So just starting to put my bandit together. Got mavic cross rides which the box says are 142 x 12. Which is what the frame needs. But when I put the wheel in the drop outs and put the axle through, there’s a small gap between the dropouts in the frame and the edge of the hole in the free hub. Shouldn’t they fit snugly like it would on a fork maxle?
    When the axle is tightened it brings the gap down but not enough to eliminate the gap so there is lateral play of the wheel between the drop outs
    I ha vent put the cassette on yet . Am I just being thick?

MSP

Sounds like you have 135×12, usually just a case of swapping end caps over, and many wheelsets now come with both in the box.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I think you should get adapters with the wheels which take the width up to 142 .

welshfarmer

tape measure needed

aye-aye
    Free Member

135 x 12 end caps usually have a “knurled?” surface?

142 x 12 are usually smooth?

ceepers

No knurling but my sophisticated measuring has them at 135 :-(. Can’t find any adapters in the box (or bin!) the lbs had originally ordered the wheels for someone else so maybe they had already been taken out . Guess I’d better check with them tomorrow!

Cheers for the help!

pbooker1995
    Free Member

the 142 adpaters on the crossrides are red and they just fit over the 135 adapters. No need to take out the 135 adapters.

blindboy
    Free Member

think you need these
    adapters

ceepers

Thanks, definitely they weren’t in there but the box has 142 on it so guessing they should have come with the wheels. Glad I got them from my lbs and not somewhere else!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bolt thru rears am I missing something obvious?’ is closed to new replies.