Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Boiler sizing with an Aga
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner Sr’s oil boiler has given up.

They have an oil Aga with a back boiler, with an additional Oil boiler used for top up in winter and DHW when the Aga is off in summer.

The old boiler was sized at 19kW, which seems small if it were the sole heating source for DHW & CH, but obviously it never gets used as sole DHW & CH as the Aga is always on in winter.

Is there any reason to go for a substantially larger boiler than the old one? Im thinking not really as at 19kW it all seemed to work OK.

As a secondary Qu, the boiler was located next to the Aga. It might be an idea to move it to a wall mounted position in the kitchen, again not far from oil supply, but more usefully right next to an external wall for a balanced flue outlet. Are there such things as wall-mounted oil (noncombi) boilers around 20Kw?

Smudger666

Stoner – from memory, the dhw output of the wee boiler in the aga is circa 1kw/hr.

The output to room could be anything depending on the settings up to 4kW which might be skewing your ‘gut’ feeling about the other boiler being on the small side.

Can’t help with the wall mounted 20kw as it’s been a while since I was involved with fossil fuels.

Stoner
    Free Member

Thanks smudger.

I didnt realise the Aga boiler was so small. But I think it’s probably safe to aim for a matched size replacement.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Are there such things as wall-mounted oil (noncombi) boilers around 20Kw?

google says yes:

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Grant_Vortex_Eco_Internal_Wall_Hung_Heat_Only_Boiler_16_21.html

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers finger.
    Not a brand Im familiar with, but I can ping it over to oldies and they can get the tape measure out. Will give them something to work with anyway.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

You could always go for an external oil boiler if wishing to free up space.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Stoner maybe he should be looking ahead to when the oil aga is ditched for a more efficient electic one (sister has just swapped two oil Aga’s for new electric ones that can be turned down easily).
    I’m guessing here but I bet a larger oil boiler will not cost that much more than a smaller one.
    Personally I’d be sizing it as if it was the sole heat provider.

Stoner
    Free Member

I dont think they need to go that far. If they cant fit it on the wall o the side of the boiler, they can just put the new one back where the old one was. Not entirely sure what they think they’re going to put where the old boiler is unless it’s an electric oven/hob for summer. That would make sense I guess.

theres is arranged like this at the moment. Boiler on right

Stoner
    Free Member

M&D not planning on staying in the house too much longer and old man Stoner is a tight scotsman, so he refuses to sink capital into something he wont benefit form before he’s left or dead 🙄

My choice would have been to rip out the aga completely and put a electric oven/induction range in instead and a new 30Kw+ boiler.

globalti
    Free Member

Our Aga man told us the Aga back boiler is inefficient and they do rust out. I would ignore the Aga boiler and ensure the new boiler has enough capacity for the job.

We have a 4 bed house and CH and HW provided by a Glowworm Flexicom 24HX, which does the job fine and is hidden at eye level inside a kitchen cupboard.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Boiler sizing with an Aga’ is closed to new replies.