Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Boiler died ! central heating advice needed
  • shredder
    Free Member

Old boiler has died and been condemned this evening. Anybody in the trade have an idea what costs im looking at to replace. And can I just have a new boiler fitted into the existing system ?
    Which boiler combi condensing ?
    Any advice appreciated.

Now wheres my woolly socks !

Thanks
    Rich

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just don’t go to British Gas

snaps
    Free Member

Somewhere between £400 & £600 plus fitting depending on the size of your house (assuming its gas) to fit a new boiler to existing system

shredder
    Free Member

No to British Gas because of prices ?

Yes system is gas………can any new boiler be retro-fitted to existing system ?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Correct – they charge clucking stupid prices

snaps
    Free Member

Yes providing there is an adequate flue location near
    Look Here

soops
    Free Member

Baxi Duotec combis are a good reliable boiler.

Stay away from biasi, alpha and halsted. They are cheap but expensive to repair.

If no big alterations to the gas pipe needed fitting shouldn’t be more than £350-£400.

Where you based?

8)

shredder
    Free Member

Hi soops based in Bradford. So the above is a fitted price doesn’t sound as bad as I was imagining. Is that a combi ?

The current boiler which was around 15yrs old is linked to a cylinder in the airing cupboard does this have a bearing would that become redundant ?

There is also a tank in the loft.

Cheers

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Shredder – we had exactly the same situation a couple of months ago.

I would reccomend getting a new self condensing combi unit. This means your storage tank and header tank will be taken out – no need for them.

For us we got everything done including cleaning/flushing the system, new controller, new incomer, new flue, building work and replacing some pipework which was blocked up etc. All in it cost £1400 including VAT. Our plumber was a machine and did it all in a day. Instant hot water is great. The new system is far far more efficient and uses way less gas. It heats everything up way better and the thermostat is a lot lower than it used to be.

Hope that helps.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Oh, and we gained an extra cupboard due to storage tank coming out. Bonus!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

something to think about.

If you keep your hot water tank, you will have hot water in a powercut – handy if you have kids

shredder
    Free Member

Thanks Zedsdead all good advice, and yes an extra cupboard would be good.

Rich

soops
    Free Member

Shredder

chris dot soops at googlemail dot com

will1 says i should help you out

😀

shredder
    Free Member

Hi soops have mailed you.

Many thanks Andy 😀

Cheers
    Rich

Midnighthour
    Free Member

We got a condensing boiler in the house when the last one broke. Importantly we retained the hot water tank and immersion heater. Having heard of lots of poor hot water supplies from boilers that heat water as you need it.

Get quotes from several companies. British Gas are vile hardsellers who sent 2 people round to bully us (crossed them off the list!) and check what they say against the internet. We found a lot of companies lie in order to sell certain things. We were told by BT and another company we could not keep the hot water tank at all, but we still have it and its been great. Lots of water reserve and also hot water access if the central heating fails. Having been left for 3 weeks by Brit Gas with no heating and no hot water when elsewhere, believe me a reserve tank with immersion is worshipped! And we can still wash up when someone is using the bathroom taps!

takisawa2

Straight swap for condensing boiler should set you back about £1000 – £1200.
    Combi conversion probably £1200 – £1400 due to running gas pipe to airing cupboard.

blu-tone
    Free Member

Shredder, if you ping me an email I’ll send you as much info as I can.
    This is not my main area of expertise, but it’ll be a lot more professionally informed.
    Some of the above is pretty decent advice, but there’s some pretty important information missing.

You can find me at
    tony4plumbingAT[/b]email.com

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Boiler died ! central heating advice needed’ is closed to new replies.