• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Boiler advise please.
  • BullFrog
    Free Member

Mrs BF and myself currently own a decent sized bungalow. Next year we are hoping to build quite a large extension to one side and the rear.

The inside is going to be split into two dwellings. One side for us and the other for my elderly in-laws.

I’m going to replace the existing boiler but i want one where the central heating can be zoned. My in-laws might need their side of the house heated when we don’t.

Is there such a boiler or system that would allow them to heat their house without having to heat ours as well.

I have the hot water side sorted. I already have a large Megaflow cylinder that will be more than adequate.

Thanking you in advance

BF

geoffj

IANAP, but zoning is based on valve, pump and thermostat arrangements – no special boiler requirements.

BullFrog
    Free Member

Perhaps zoning is the wrong word. All i need is for the in-laws to be able to heat their house without having to heat our side.

cvilla

I think zoning is the right word, so the two areas (yours and theirs) are now 2 separate zones, which can call for heat at different times and be controlled as separate areas. They just need the correct plumbing AND control, make sure controls are set up, they are important.
    Now over Stoner and Bear to explain more….:)

drofluf
    Free Member

Can you not use TRVs on all the radiators? Then you can simply control teh temperature in ‘your’ part of teh property?

Dickyboy

Can you not use TRVs on all the radiators? Then you can simply control teh temperature in ‘your’ part of teh property?

yes if you can be bothered to go round turning them up & down all the time, rather than just having two different heating zones

divenwob
    Free Member

As above you need to set up a zone valve and roomstat for each seperate area,back to the programmer/s and sort the pipework accordingly.

BullFrog
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. It sounds like a straight forward job. As long as i don’t have to buy a special boiler. 😀

Bear
    Free Member

Yup, you just need to add another zone. Which would mean another 2 port valve, timer, room stat (prog room stats are usually awkward for the more elderly amongst us!) and a decent electrician to wire it up after the plumber has done his bits.

System is often referred to a S Plan Plus.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Boiler advise please.’ is closed to new replies.