Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Boiled eggs – Whats the secret to getting the shells off easily?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Quite often the wife boils the leftover eggs that need eating for me to take to eat at work. But more often than not the shells are a complete PITA to get off, and either come off in tiny little pieces or bring half the egg with it.

So whats the trick to getting to an easy pealable boiled egg? Once boiled we normally rinse in cold water, do they shells only come off easily when they are hot?

Something to do with that thin layer between the shell and the egg, if you can get into that then your laughing, but sometimes this just sticks to the egg.

Please help me with my 1st world problem and save my keyboard from tiny bits of eggs shell.

andyfla
    Free Member

Fresh eggs
    Ours peel very happily a few days later once they have been in the fridge, so not a heat issue

chvck
    Free Member

Using not fresh eggs helps and I always find the easiest way to peel them is to just run the egg along the draining board or sink so that the egg cracks all over and then they’re usually easy to peel.

johndoh
    Free Member

Roll around on a hard surface then rinse off

warton
    Free Member

Using not fresh eggs helps and I always find the easiest way to peel them is to just run the egg along the draining board or sink so that the egg cracks all over and then they’re usually easy to peel.

This, needs a light touch though…

sputnik
    Free Member

Roll the egg between the palm of your hand and flat surface like the kitchen table or counter. Apply enough pressure for the shell to fracture all over.
    Then peel UNDER water , in a bowl or kitchen sink.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Water helps.

wors

Get the wife to do it before you go to work 😆

Danny79
    Free Member

Not tried it but adding baking soda to the water is supposed to help.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5874002_boil-eggs-baking-soda.html

FraserCook

nothing works! sometimes an egg is easy to peel sometime not. its just random ❓
    if there was a ‘works every time method’ that would be splendid!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Use a toffee-hammer

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I reckon the world would be a better place if people employed a Toffee Hammer more often.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Fresh eggs kept at larder temperature, don’t keep them in the fridge.

I’m not sure that helps them peel any easier it’s just good practice.

samuri
    Free Member

tappity tappity all over on a hard surface. Then just peel it off. dead easy. Never had a problem with it.

organic355
    Free Member

What temperature is a larder? Does your butler boil your eggs?

brakes
    Free Member

put a small hole in the air sack at the bottom of the egg with something pointy.
    this does two things – lets the boiling egg expand and stops the shell cracking when it’s boiling, means the egg doesn’t push on the shell so hard making it easier to peel and if you’re lucky allows some moisture to get between the egg and the membrane which also makes it easier to peel.
    this tip is courtesy of Sir Terry Wogan c.1995

billyblackheart
    Free Member

What temperature is a larder? Does your butler boil your eggs?

Ours hang around 15C so colder than room temperature but not that cold. Unfortunately not we only employ the help in the evening.

put a small hole in the air sack at the bottom of the egg with something pointy.

I distinctly remember having a device kicking around the kitchen as a child that was essentially an egg cup with a pin in the bottom for just that purpose.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Boiled eggs – Whats the secret to getting the shells off easily?’ is closed to new replies.