Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Boiled egg test
  • poolman
    Free Member

Just tried spinning an egg to see if its boiled or raw, someone has interfered with my system of putting boiled eggs in 1 section of fridge, raw in another. So boiled should spin a few seconds, raw not.

Is the test reliable? Its my packed lunch for tomorrow so dont really want to crack a raw egg….i know i could boil some more but i have a system and i am sticking to it.

Would you risk russian roulette with a raw egg?

Cougar

Crack it before you leave tomorrow.

You shouldn’t store fresh eggs in the fridge (unless you’re American), stop doing that and you’ll have a system lest prone to tampering.

theotherjonv

if you spin a raw egg and then stop it with a finger on top, when you let go it’s spin or move again as the fluid inside is still moving.

A HB one will stop when you stop it

theotherjonv

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdhBxISaoUw[/video]

poolman
    Free Member

Yes the test worked…boiled it is. Taking a cracked boiled egg tomorrow..

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator 
    You shouldn’t store fresh eggs in the fridge (unless you’re American)

I must be a Yankee then as done that since forever 😀 . Even have a nice egg tray in the fridge for the job, and I violate the rule that you shouldn’t keep them in the door (apparently). Since the 90s doing that, had the sum total of one bad egg, and no ill effects.

GrahamS

Cougar is quite right, no need to keep British eggs in the fridge. Hence why they are usually found on unrefrigerated shelves in the shops.

km79
    Free Member

You don’t need to but they will last longer and keep fresher if you do.

oldnpastit

So after Brexit we will need to keep eggs in the refrigerator, what with all those chlorinated eggs coming over?

And there will be less space in the refrigerator, and more chance of things falling out of an over-filled one?

Like the milk for example?

Oh well.

thecaptain
    Free Member

theotherjonv’s spin test was a staple of japanese breakfasts…usually with disappointing results (i.e. correctly showing the egg to be raw). Key is only to tap it briefly, if you stop it for a significant period the inside stops moving too..

GrahamS

Can’t say I ever keep eggs much beyond their best before date. They rarely make it that long in this house anyway. 😀

Do you wash them before putting them in the fridge?

Stoner
    Free Member

the eggshell is very good at keeping lurgies ont’outside. Until it gets wet that is.

This is why washing eggs is poor, as is the condensation that forms on chilled eggs as they come to room temperature. It provides a medium that can penetrate the eggshell and take nasties on the outside inside the egg. No need to wash eggs, and eggs kept at room temperature are fine for more than you’ll need.

km79
    Free Member

Do you wash them before putting them in the fridge?

No, but then I have been known to keep live worms/bait in my fridge from time to time so I’m not all that fussy.

Saccades
    Free Member

km79 – Member

Makes ’em harder to peel once hard boiled.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Boiled egg test’ is closed to new replies.