Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Body temperature
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Funny thing happened to me yesterday. Went out on my bike from 7-9pm, and it was probably around 0 deg C but felt fine with three layers. Spent about half an hour in the pub afterwards but no alcohol. The 15 ride home was absolute hell, I’ve never felt so cold, teeth chattering and I was shaking like Ulrika doing the Vibro Sprout Challenge. Had a steaming hot bath and hot drinks, but still felt cold afterwards, shivering again by the time I went to bed. Then woke up about 3am sweating buckets.

I’ve lost quite a lot of weight recently and I’m feeling the cold more than I used to, so wondered if this was something to do with it?

Or just the start of a cold?

Or perhaps just a bit of a fanny? 🙂

Drac

How much did you eat?

You burn more calories in cold weather to try and keep warm.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Virus

And if it anything like the one I’m still getting over, a week later …. good luck

Hit me side ways…. cant remember the last time I felt so ill… think I must be getting old … have struggled to shake it off like I would have done half a dozen years ago

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ate about 2500 calories in total yesterday, 2000 in the day, then the rest after riding. Didn’t feel especially tired until afterwards.

Good luck Ro5ey 🙁

Drac

Are you a Scottish Hora?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not yet 😕

theboyneeds
    Free Member

You might be on the verge of coming down with something. Sends my body temp haywire. Next thing i know I’ve got a cold or stomach bug.

MSP

I have this problem all the time when riding in the cold these days, has been affecting me for a few years now, didn’t use to. I am rather overweight, but also quite muscular so when working generate quite a bit of heat.

I don’t think it is down to blood sugar depletion, which is the most commonly espoused explanation. From what I can make out it comes down to the bodies systems attempts to regulate heat, and the affect of fat and age on the speed they can adapt to environmental changes.

Fat is considered as an insulator, and it kind of is, but it works both ways, it is perhaps better to think of it as thermal storage, when you work hard it stores heat, but when you get cold it stores the lower temperature. In itself it is inactive and cannot contribute to the bodies attempts to regulate temperature. So going from a warm enviroment after working hard it is in full on dump heat mode and doesn’t react quick enough to going into a cold environment, the core is still sending the message to dump heat when the skin (and fat)is getting cold

ps I am not calling you fat, but I seem to recall past posts where I thought you were a similar build to me. So suck it up fatty.

pps I am not a doctor.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m not skinny MSP so your comment stands 🙂

Guess I need to wait and see if it’s a bug/virus or something.

molgrips
    Free Member

Did you have a soft drink in the pub?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Diet Coke (oh the shame)

jimdubleyou

I went for a lunchtime pootle two Sundays ago.

By the evening I was feeling a bit rough, by Monday I was sweating with a horrific fever.

Sport hurts. 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

So basically I’m too sporty!

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve lost quite a lot of weight recently

Intentionally or inexplicably?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Intentionally

maccruiskeen

Intentionally

So discarded rather than lost or misplaced. (no need to look for it down the back of the sofa)

Or just the start of a cold?

Could be the start of not getting a cold – a temperature (which would make you feel cold) can be a result of your immune system kicking a lurgy into touch.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Age? Hot and cold flushes and all that 😉

Can be tonnes of things, virus/fever or something anxiety related or nothing obvious.

Check your actual temperature. Chances are it’s rock solid the same whether you feel boiling hot or freezing cold. I get that a lot these days (I’m 40+ now). Frequently boiling hot late at night and yet the house temperature is the same all evening. Take my own temperature and doesn’t shift.

dangh
    Free Member

This is a fever, you were feeling much colder than usual because of that… followed by sweat. Might be a flu or just a strong cold, or typhoid fever. kidding

Klunk
    Free Member

Diet Coke (oh the shame)

with ice by any chance ?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Probably, can’t really remember.

Still feeling cold and achy so I guess that’s some sort of virus?

Klunk
    Free Member

yeah had similar caused by having an icecream, nice ride out this time of year stopped at a cafe the sun was out all was lovely quite warm…. decided to have a small icecream, dropped my core temp and had a miserable ride home just couldn’t get warm again.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Odd isn’t it, never had that before. Just glad it wasn’t too far from home 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

never had an icecream mid ride since, decidedly unpleasant experience.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m just going to play it safe with cake in future. And maybe a nice cup of tea.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I was going to suggest your are having the menopause 🙂
    Did you strip down whilst in the pub? I find putting layers back on just before leaving helps stop the acclimatisation. Probably caught a chill and now coming down with something.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

See your GP

Sweat and heat loss after exercise.

Cold drink.

Try it again without stopping.

Then again with a hot drink.

You’re fine and it’s cold.

Check your garments.

thegreatape
    Free Member

And probably MTFU regardless.

alexpalacefan

Diet coke? I may have made this up, but does the sweet taste convince the body that a sugary drink is forthcoming, thus causing it to reduce existing blood-sugar levels in some way? The net result being that the level drops dramatically as no new sugar is forthcoming.

IANAD

APF

palmer77
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    How much did you eat?
    You burn more calories in cold weather to try and keep warm.
    POSTED 21 HOURS AGO #

Is it possible to lose weight by deliberately getting cold?

hora
    Free Member

Pint of milk = win win

trout
    Free Member

Spent about half an hour in the pub afterwards but no alcohol

There`s your problem no beer when your body was expecting it with a pub visit

hora
    Free Member

Missed that. Your body reeked a terrible vengeance for your dry visit. Next time, gin it

tenfoot

Happened to me last March. I was riding quite happily in close to zero temperatures, went into a bike shop for around 10 minutes and couldn’t warm up when I came out. I was so cold I felt ill, my energy dropped off and I had to stop for a bacon roll before I started feeling any better.

Any excuse

shermer75
    Free Member

Diet coke? I may have made this up, but does the sweet taste convince the body that a sugary drink is forthcoming, thus causing it to reduce existing blood-sugar levels in some way? The net result being that the level drops dramatically as no new sugar is forthcoming.
    IANAD

Blood glucose levels are measured in the pancreas

DrP

Do we not just think he got a bit chilly in a cold bike ride, then probably had the winter duvet and heating on or something, and then warmed up…??

“See your GP”….?!
    I’m sure they’ll do a fantastic job of nodding in agreement and “ummming” for you..
    😉

DrP

thegreatape
    Free Member

😀

My wife is the practice nurse at my GPs surgery, she’d kill me if I turned up to say I’d got a bit cold.

DrP if you can just sign off on the gin and tonic and bacon sarnie prescription then that covers me for next time, she won’t be able to argue.

pictonroad

Surely this is a standard phenomenon? the ride back home after a cold ride then pub visit is excruciating. Always has been, seems to be standard, takes flipping ages to warm back up again, you can still be cold AFTER a hot shower.

I’m going to pronounce you completely normal.

DrP

Pictonroad… With that kind of logic you could locum at my place…. 😉

DrP

butcher

I’ve often been cold after a winter cafe stop. Sweat on the ride out, cools you right down once you stop. By the time you head back out the door, still damp, it’s full teeth chattering stuff.

Should be fine after a bath and whatnot mind.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Delayed onset malaria ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Body temperature’ is closed to new replies.