Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Body storage…
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

If you live in an urban area then flyover foundations are a tried and tested method.

amedias
    Free Member

since you’ll be wearing a jersey over the top of your bibs anyway, why not just use the jersey pockets?

Because it flaps around and is uncomfortable, and I wouldn’t trust even tight roadie jerseys to securely hold my stuff when I’m smashing down a rocky bridleway [/quote]

I don’t wear flappy tops as they flap regardless, and anything that’s uncofortable in a Jersey pocket will be just as uncomfortable in a bib pocket.

I’ve never lost anything out of pockets on a decently fitted jersey with sensible depth pockets, and I’ve definitely never lost anything out of the ones with zips on.

DH orientated jerseys don’t usually have pockets in them

Surely if you’re DH’ing you don’t want that kind of stuff around that area of your back anyway if/when you crash. Back at the pit or in a well padded bag every time for me.
    And if you’re just pootling around in a DH jersey you don’t strike me as the type who would be wearing bibs underneath?

Despite all the above which you could argue till you’re blue in the face on either side, it seems a bit of an inconvenience to have to buy several pairs of bibs with storage when you could just use the storage built into jerseys, or use an external carrying pack (bag, bumbag, hip pack, whatever) that can be used with any clothing that takes your fancy.

Maybe I just don’t ‘get it’ but seems like a solution for a problem better addressed with existing kit to me…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Co-op carrier bag over one side of the handlebars?

Works for me…

legend
    Free Member

amedias – Member
    I don’t wear flappy tops as they flap regardless, and anything that’s uncofortable in a Jersey pocket will be just as uncomfortable in a bib pocket.

Even race fit roadie tops don’t hold kit as well as the SWAT bibs. The difference is that the pockets are suspended from the top and below, so there’s no way they can bounce up/down or twist around the side.

In terms of comfort there’s no difference, it’s in holding things still that they differ massively

singlespeedstu

Having clipped a rock and landed on my back while going fast enough to rip the pedal out and bend the crank arm yesterday I wont be putting a multi tool in the rear pocket of my swat shorts again.
    Had to sleep in a chair last night as i couldn’t lie down. 😥
    It’s a good job I had a soft water bottle flask thing also in there that burst and broke the fall a bit or it would have been far worse.
    Just be careful what you carry in there.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LYtbRj]Burst after landing on my back.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

DH orientated jerseys don’t usually have pockets in them

So wear a road or XC jersey

Superficial – Member

Because it flaps around and is uncomfortable, and I wouldn’t trust even tight roadie jerseys to securely hold my stuff when I’m smashing down a rocky bridleway.

I’ve never lost anything from one. Or found them uncomfortable*.

Like the Specialized glove box it’s an image thing, it’s no better than taping a spare tube to the saddle rails or a pump attached to the bottle cage, it’s just that #ENDURO fashionista trendsetters have decided that they have to be hidden. Ditto jerseys, there is no valid reason to wear a DH jersey, but that’s what people wear, then put the pockets on the shorts.

*the shame of my belly not being hidden aside.

aracer
    Free Member

If you’re carrying enough for that to be an issue then you’re carrying too much – and would be better off with a camelbak/backpack or (dare I suggest it?) a seatpack on your bike.

What exactly is the problem with using a seatpack anyway? That’s something where a seatpack also wins – I have one permanently on my bike, so don’t have to think about picking up the right tubes etc. (also a much smaller one with just a couple of tubes in permanently attached to the road bike).

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Like the Specialized glove box it’s an image thing, it’s no better than taping a spare tube to the saddle rails or a pump attached to the bottle cage, it’s just that #ENDURO fashionista trendsetters have decided that they have to be hidden. Ditto jerseys, there is no valid reason to wear a DH jersey, but that’s what people wear, then put the pockets on the shorts.

I’m not a fashionista, but I don’t want to be one of ‘those’ people riding round my local woods (or anywhere else to be honest) in lycra, looking like i’ve gone off course from an XC race.

Baggy shorts & a tech tee is fine. I hate wearing a bag, so some form of thin, minimal base layer I can chuck a few little bits in is ideal.

What exactly is the problem with using a seatpack anyway? That’s something where a seatpack also wins – I have one permanently on my bike, so don’t have to think about picking up the right tubes etc. (also a much smaller one with just a couple of tubes in permanently attached to the road bike).

They don’t work with dropper posts? Usually they need to be attached to the seatpost too.

hora
    Free Member

Do people really need to carry multitools? Can’t it go in a shorts pocket or one in the group carries one?

What’s this crazy ‘must have every option on me’ mentality?

Tyre lever*2
    One tube
    Water
    Spare money/change
    Small pump

That’s it.

If need be you can tape something to the frame.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, so not a fashionista, but more worried about image than practicality? FWIW I often wear baggies when riding nowadays, but with bibs underneath and paired with a roadie/XC top – you really don’t look all that geeky wearing that, you are after all a grown man riding bikes for fun, so whatever your expectations you don’t look normal whatever you’re wearing.

They don’t work with dropper posts? Usually they need to be attached to the seatpost too.

Not necessarily no – I have ones which just attach to saddle rails.

singlespeedstu

Do people really need to carry multitools?

Yes. It’s better than having to walk home because of a small mechanical.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A lot of small ones just have a solid plastic clip to the saddle rails.

Missing the point though, velco straps to the seatube, electrical tape to the stem, triathlon top tube bags. All valid options, but like lycra and jerseys with pockets don’t fit the ‘image’.

aracer
    Free Member

Right – I’m off to make my fortune with my new enduro range of seatpacks and close fitting jerseys with pockets then. Who should I sponsor to use my products?

dovebiker

This thread needs to be renamed “the 101 reasons why I’ll make live with discomfort and impracticality because I think it doesn’t look good” – subtitled no mudguards, seatpacks or roadie-inferred content 🙄

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What’s uncomfortable about wearing a pair of baggy riding shorts and a fitted technical t-shirt?

hora
    Free Member

I can count on a small hand how many mechanicals that I’ve had out on the trail. If it’s serious enough its a walk home anyway. Nipping up nuts and things should be predone weekly before a ride. If a chain shats itself the small chain tool and one set of power links should suffice. Wrapped of course.

As for mobile- I wouldn’t trust those side pockets. Plus rain, hummidty from sweat etc can’t be great for a fancy phone. At this end of the day though- just wrap your small multitool in something. Neopreen or abit of bubblewrap. Bizarre seeing riders with packs, the full cyclist uniform etc.

singlespeedstu

small chain tool

with a couple of different sized ratchet attachments to get my back wheel out pretty much describes the multi tool I was carrying.
    Far more use than tyre levers. They’re only used by people with “office hands” 😛

just wrap your small multitool in something. Neopreen or abit of bubblewrap.

Was also in a stickypod neoprene case and believe me it does nothing to protect you.

aracer
    Free Member

He did also say “impracticality” – and it appears you need to wear a roadie top underneath in order to make it practical…

Though now you mention your technical t being fitted, I’m wondering what the advantage of that is over just wearing a bike top with pockets.

scud
    Free Member

Not actually what the OP wanted, but what about smaller top tube only frame bag.

I have a Revelate Tangle, goes between bikes and i can still fit two bottles in frame, really good size to carry rain jacket, tools, tube and a bit to eat, centred on bike and waterproof. Nice to get weight off of back.

But……never had anything drop out of jersey pockets except a gilet whcih i’d stuffed in badly

pictonroad

Any avid readers in the house? Has the mag done a test or review on these things or waist packs whilst we’re here?

legend
    Free Member

If you’re carrying enough for that to be an issue then you’re carrying too much – and would be better off with a camelbak/backpack or (dare I suggest it?) a seatpack on your bike.

If anything roadie tops are worse when you don’t have that much in them, packing out the pockets (no, not so they are bulging) gives less room for things to jump around.

Standard SWAT carry: snacks and phone in left pocket, drink in middle, repair kit and tiny pump in right pocket. Hardly a wild setup. If going out all day then a hucksack gets worn. Spare tube lives under the top tube and the ride is far more enjoyable as I’m not wearing a bag

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Body storage…’ is closed to new replies.