Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Body position when riding
  • GEDA
    Free Member

Have benn out building trails with a big rucksack on and a big bow saw. Though not optimal it did force me to ride with a straighter back and neck. I think it felt better and more controöled but not really sure. I suppose it depends on the terrain but what is the best body position for jumping and pumping the trail. I think in the past i have been more a stand on the pedals but keeping low kind of guy. Just wondering about the advatages of different styles.

GEDA
    Free Member

Bump.

JCL
    Free Member

You want to be between the axles but as we get older we get scared and stiff and hang off the back like prongs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    roverpig

Flat (horizontal) back I believe. Not that I get anywhere close to that, but then I’m just bimbling along, so comfort trumps a bit of extra speed/control for me.

GEDA
    Free Member

I have been a flat back person in the past but a straighter back seems to be better for pumping and maybe a bit more control when jumping.

JCL
    Free Member

Just look at Graves or Clementz to see what you should look like for general AM stuff.

thorlz
    Free Member

You want to be between the axles but as we get older we get scared and stiff and hang off the back like prongs.

Thats me to a tee.

I really need to be lower and more forward. I am sure it is hanging too far back and being to stiff that burns up my thighs and calfs on descents.

GEDA
    Free Member

I looked at some old photos of me at Inners jumping hanging off the back and it just looks so wrong. Sessions on a pump track has made me more aware of body position but problem is that you never know yourself how you look in reality

GEDA
    Free Member

But this looks a bit wrong to me for jumping and drops.

this looks a bit looser

Thinking about it though the main difference of having a great big rucksack on is that your back and neck have to be straight.

tmb467
    Free Member

you ideally want your body weight centred above the pedals so you can move around as the bike moves beneath you

as the bike can move in three dimensions (pitch forward & back, tilt left and right, rotate left and right) you want to be able to keep your weight in the right place to either weight or unweight it accordingly

your body then needs to be able to move to best control the bike. A straight and strong core (pelvis to centre of spine) will allow you to use your hips and shoulders to correctly position yourself – plus your head is pretty heavy, so your upper half not only needs to allow the shoulders to move but also to support your head and neck

JCL
    Free Member
    richmtb

I went on a skills course and my tendency for hanging off the back was spotted straight away.

I’m trying hard to correct it.

Flat pedals help a bit – you can’t just hang off the back knowing your feet are stuck to the pedals you need to have your weight in the right place. Still I’m constantly reminding my self to get my head a bit lower and a bit more forward on the bike

kudos100
    Free Member

Greg Minnaar is a great guy to watch for body position. It is pretty much perfect all the time.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxzprY7iM4[/video]

edward2000
    Free Member

I find if you hang off the back too much you don’t have total control of the bike as it’s more difficult to balance. Try doing a track stand, it’s more difficult if your weight is not over the centre of the bike. I think the same applies to when the wheels are in motion. It’s easier to lean the bike too when your weight is centred. This is important because you want to keep your front wheel as straight as possible and ideally get as much turn from leaning the bike, not turning the bars. Am I making any sense?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Body position when riding’ is closed to new replies.