Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Body found in Lake Windermere
  • centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Still to be identified.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ll raise you one. Two separate bodies pulled from the river Mersey in Liverpool on Sunday. 😯

globalti
    Free Member

It’s not Lake Windermere, it’s Windermere.

There’s only one lake in the Lake District, Bassenthwaite Lake. The rest are waters, meres or tarns.

Carry on.

CountZero

Sun comes out, people think its ok to go swimming, and the cold water numbs them. Happens in rivers even in high summer.

slowoldman

Didn’t a young bloke go missing in Bowness recently?

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Hardly relevant globalti!

Plus, everyone knows that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sun comes out, people think its ok to go swimming, and the cold water numbs them. Happens in rivers even in high summer.

Capsized on Sunday on a shallow gravel pit (about 200 acers deepest point is about 10m, mostly <2m), the shock was enough to take my breath away and I was expecting it and wearing a wetsuit.

Drac

Didn’t a young bloke go missing in Bowness recently?

Yes a student he’s been missing a couple of weeks now.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Stick to your guns globalti.

Bet it’s that student lad, rubbish.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

I’ll raise you one. Two separate bodies pulled from the river Mersey in Liverpool on Sunday.

Do you Scousers normally tie your victims together?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’m assuming it’s the lad who went missing on a night out, he came from near where I live.

A sad ending, never mind though I’ve been educated about the name of the lake.

mudshark
    Free Member

Joe’s Garage?

I used to swim in the Lake District when I was a kid when we went up at Easter, thought of it as a bit of a temperature challenge, didn’t realise there was death potential.

LimboJimbo

I believe the problem with swimming in lakes and quarries is that they are relatively still bodies of water. The sun warms the surface to a deceptively warm temperature. This can drop dramatically at just a few feet of depth so even a strong swimmer can be caught out by a sharp, involuntary gasp and start to struggle.
    Obviously we don’t know whether this is relevant in this case. Tragic nonetheless.

bob_summers

I learned to windsurf on Windermere. Falling in halfway across was headache-inducingly cold, whether in winter or summer.

crazy-legs

I learned to windsurf on Windermere.

I learnt to waterski there back in the days before they introduced a blanket 10mph speed limit there. Killjoys.

And as mentioned, it can be astonishingly cold even in summer.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Body found in Windermere to me would suggest the town and civil parish in the South Lakeland District of Cumbria.

And the irony of the Lake District not having many Lakes. Perfect Pedant world.

nosenseofdirection
    Free Member

When I was young we went on holiday somewhere near the Pennines (ok I know that’s not the lakes). My friend and I were out on a dinghy on a small lake? no idea where our parents were (it was the 70’s!). We purposely made the boat capsize and played in the water. When we got back to the farmhouse the owner told us off – in a nice way – and said that divers had been in that area of water and not found the bottom which scared us kids! Often wondered if this was remotely true or something she made up to stop us getting into trouble!

CountZero

I believe the problem with swimming in lakes and quarries is that they are relatively still bodies of water. The sun warms the surface to a deceptively warm temperature. This can drop dramatically at just a few feet of depth so even a strong swimmer can be caught out by a sharp, involuntary gasp and start to struggle.

That’s what I understood happened, it was that gasp of shock caused the swimmer to swallow water involuntarily, then panic and take in even more water.
    Five people have drowned in the Avon in Bath in the last couple of years, walking along the cycle path in the dark, and going into the water in the dark on their way home from a pub or club, sadly.

marcus7
    Free Member

Saw the posters up today all over ambleside, very sad news indeed, it was an absolutely beautiful day and it’s easy to forget how unforgiving the lakes can be.. 🙁

BurnBob
    Free Member

I used to go swimming in Scotland’s only lake! Anyone know? You had to really watch out for the cold patches, energy sapping.

bencooper
    Free Member

Anyone know?

Menteith?

WTF
    Free Member

BurnBob – Member

I used to go swimming in Scotland’s only lake

Lake of Mentieth isn`t the only one

Pressmennan Lake
    Lake of the Hirsel
    Lake Louise
    Raith Lake
    Cally Lake
    Manxmans Lake

tinybits
    Free Member

the avon is also a bitch to get out of unless you can climb concrete / metal banks though. I looked for a guy who had been knocked off a bridge by a car (North parade) in 2000. Was found nearly a week later, 30 yards from where he went in, trapped in bushes by a bank.

A friend of mine died a number of years ago whilst jet skiing on a hot summers day. He jumped off the jet ski and had a heart attack / shock from the cold water. He was actually and incredibly talanted, young professional windsurfer so it’s not even a ‘get used to it’ tyoe thing. It can just strike. Very sad and I can’t help but feel for others in the same situation

bigyinn
    Free Member

Rogan Josh – Member

Hardly relevant globalti!

Plus, everyone knows that.
    *voice from the back of room*
    “I didn’t”.

BurnBob
    Free Member

WTF – I should have said ‘Scotland’s only natural lake’ I think the rest are all artificial, not sure why they were called lakes.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Body found in Lake Windermere’ is closed to new replies.