Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Body Fat Measurement – US Naval Method?
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Anyone tried this?

Bought ‘Racing Weight’ yesterday and know the scales I own are rubbish…. your thoughts please?

ianpinder
    Free Member

Must be wrong 😉 I’m 6ft 4 and still 24 stone and apparently im in the acceptable range!

lucien

Just put my details in to Navy website and fig comes out lower than on my scales by 2%.

Both systems based on some sort of algorithm, but at least the scales include some form of measurement before the calculation – nither is perfect.

As with all these things, trend is more important than which number you hit, so if by measuring with whichever method, the trend is going in the direction you want, then it’s right.

flap_jack
    Free Member

16% according to this. Tanita scales say 23%. Skinfold says 19%. I think I like this method !

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

lucien – I would argue that a tape measure gives you some form of measurement.

Try standing on your bodyfat scales with a cast iron weight and see what happens to your bodyfat %…

donsimon
    Free Member

12,6%, happy but could do better.
    I’m not sure if any method is going to be accurate, so, like flap_jack, just pick the result that makes you happy.

Flaperon

8% using this method. Scales say 5.9%.

5’11” and 62kg.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Flaperon – do your scales have an ‘athlete’ mode?

Don – can you see your abs? It’s about progress though isn’t it… and finding my racing weight 🙂

phil.w
    Free Member

From other tests I would have said I was 7% +/- 2% as no test is that accurate.

That Navy link has me at 7.4% so it seems to be reasonably accurate.

Though an inch either way on the waist and hip account for a shift of 2% so it is very reliant on taking the measurements in the correct place.

donsimon
    Free Member

Don – can you see your abs? It’s about progress though isn’t it… and finding my racing weight

This is one of the questions I’ve maintained regarding weight loss and various claims made, no abs to be seen at this stage. So when people mention losing a couple of kilos and are able to see abs forming, I have to have my doubts. But then again I’m never going to be bodybuilder muscular.
    My objective is to have no visible fat, and the blob sitting on the gut must go.

Flaperon

TSY – yes, in athlete mode as otherwise they reckons I’m 30% body fat…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

HAHA… from your measurements I’m guessing that would be impossible.

I think I need to try some with an athlete mode.

Keva
    Free Member

Results:
    body fat = 11.5%
    US units metric units other units
    sex male
    height 5feet 4inches
    neck 0feet 15inches
    waist 0feet 30inches
    hip 0feet 35inches

Flaperon

TSY – the book says to use it if resting heart rate below 60 and more than 5 hours of “vigorous exercise” a week.

lucien

lucien – I would argue that a tape measure gives you some form of measurement.

Try standing on your bodyfat scales with a cast iron weight and see what happens to your bodyfat %…

TSY – As long as you did this every time, and the trend was going in the direction you wanted, it would be a reliable form of measurement.

FWIW my Tanita scales on athlete mode have my body fat at 9.6% in the morning and <8% in the evenings, depending on hydration and how much I have ridden that day

iDave
    Free Member

My Mum thinks I look ill = racing weight

ps44
    Free Member

Last time I had this measured I was borderline malnourished using caliper/skinfold and borderline obese using height and weight. Must be about right then 😉

flap_jack
    Free Member

‘race weight’ ? WTF ?

Are there races for different weight classes now ?

Get off the scales and on the bike and aim for maximum SPEED.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

flap_jack – you forget that you already posted your flabby stats above or something?

tazzymtb

13% but I am a fatty at the moment, haven’t been riding anywhere near enough and have been eating mountains of filth whilst working silly hours. It’ll be back to normal in the new year 🙁

flap_jack
    Free Member

Indeedy.

I have recently done a Personal Trainer course so I know the ‘measurements’ at the moment. ‘Measurements’ in quotes because all these methods are approximations. I prefer the ‘if you can see your abs and the split in your biceps then you’re under 10%’ approximation. Because that gives me an answer I like even better.

When I train for bike racing I won’t get on the scales, I closely monitor the power meter on the turbo or on the bike. And do geeky graphs etc (which probably don’t help either).

I suppose the important point is that if you think your monitoring will do some good, by placebo effect it probably will. And for that reason it may be worth doing. I’d just rather do the stuff that I think monitors the results that may be transferable to the goal (more speed = winning races).

I’ve also found I’m fastest running when thinnest, but fast cycling seems (in my case) to need a couple of extra fat kilos…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

flap_jack, placebo effect… 😆

Try reading the book, eh? You might learn something… like about power to weight ratios…

flap_jack
    Free Member

Maybe I’m more aerodynamic with those fat kilos 🙂 Power to weight ain’t everything – although if you think it is, then by placebo effect you’ll do better…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If I bump this will Solo see it and tell me whether I’m allowed milk after exercise on the iDiet?

phil.w
    Free Member

I’ve also found I’m fastest running when thinnest, but fast cycling seems (in my case) to need a couple of extra fat kilos…

Yet two posts up you’re making out knowing your weight is a waste of time.

Make your mind up. 😕

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

phil.w – specifically they’re fat kilos too.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

iDave – Member

ha ha…. and starts bringing cakes round 😆

phil.w
    Free Member

specifically they’re fat kilos too

🙂 I missed that.

Have you finished the book yet. What did you think?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve not finished it yet, but I’m finding it a good read so far. Haven’t really got into the key sections…

It’s sort of confirming my theory that for an ideal endurance build I need to lose a bit of lean body weight, or become a cross country skier. 😀

carbon337
    Free Member

+1 getting grief of mother and 2 grannies here.

Result – Athlete 13%

179cm and 76kg/12st – compared to 15stone this time last year.

molgrips
    Free Member

In other fitness news, I ran 6.1 miles last night with no hurting tendons and completely relaxed and comfortable the whole time. I still don’t look ripped though so I suppose I’m a failure.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well done Molly… what pace?

Also, can you answer my milk question?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well the 4HB version of iDave’s diet tells you to GOMAD to put weight on, i.e. a litre of milk, 4 times a day, and be super careful about what else you eat to avoid putting fat on at the same time. The implication being that you’ll put on muscle so fast a bit of added fat will be easier to get rid of at a later date than to try and put on the same lean muscle slowly.

I drank shedloads of milk while I was off the bike with a knee injury for 2 years at uni, that combined with swimming sessions twice a day meant I was pretty muscly, but also had a bit of a belly, but wasnt planning it as a diet so ate lots of harribo and pasta as well.

Jamie
    Free Member

In other fitness news, I ran 6.1 miles last night with no hurting tendons and completely relaxed and comfortable the whole time. I still don’t look ripped though so I suppose I’m a failure.

Congrats, that’s almost a 10k nailed.

Oh, and apart from sprinters, most runners don’t really look ripped.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jamie – did you watch the world cross country racing yesterday… even the women were ripped… well lean as hell!

Jamie
    Free Member

TSY – Can’t say I did. As always, I am always ready to be corrected.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I know what you mean about the sprinters BTW, just looking at some of the distance runners… they’re not far off skeletal…

Jamie
    Free Member

The few races I have done, just 1/2 marathons and the like, you see this guys who look like they should be admitted into hospital as they look so emaciated……then they blast past you as if you were not there*

*as most people do to me.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Your not exactly slow though Jamie.

Perhaps you just need to get ‘the look’?

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m firmly mid pack, TSY.

The thing is, I could get ‘the look’ if I it wasn’t for one thing.

I. LOVE. FOOD.

Mostly cakes/chocolate and chips.

…I am going to restart weight training next year, so maybe that will help.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Body Fat Measurement – US Naval Method?’ is closed to new replies.