Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Body armour vests / shirts
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Looking to get a protection vest or shirt as I recently broke my left collarbone and looking to protect it a bit when I get back to riding. Been looking on CRC and two that seem to fit the bill are the TLD BP 5850 short sleeve shift, and the Leatt 3DF body vest.
    Main difference looks like the TLD also has shoulder protection, but the Leatt looks to have better back protection.

Can anyone comment any more on these? Or recommend any others?

It’s for the Mega.

Cheers.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have the POC Spine vest. Good enough shoulder spine and chest protection for me. I had one bad fall in the quarries on Portland and didn’t die. So it must have been that.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Cheers but POC is bloody expensive, also i’m guessing the spine vest doesn’t have great collarbone protection?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

What exactly do you mean by protect it? Support it while it heals or stop further breakages. Most collarbone breaks come from putting your hand out and the shock transferring up the arm, not an impact on the bone itself, very hard to protect against.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

None of them really have collarbone protection, it’s not really a place that’s likely to take a direct impact. They normally break when you put your hands out to break your fall and the force gets transmitted up your arm, and there’s not much that body armour can do about that.

If it’s still a bit sensitive while healing you could maybe try taping some sort of high density foam over it, with a compressive base layer over the top?

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve got this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/leatt-body-vest-3df-airfit-lite-2016/rp-prod123766

It’s really good but there’s no shoulder protection.

I echo the above comments: No amount of padding is going to prevent breakages, particularly to the collar bone.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Support it while it heals or stop further breakages. Most collarbone breaks come from putting your hand out and the shock transferring up the arm, not an impact on the bone itself, very hard to protect against.

I know its not going to protect it from secondary impact, but more shoulder protection and protection around the collarbone itself should help. Just don’t want (and can’t get) a direct impact in the recovering clavicle and shoulder area in general.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Was looking at the beefier version of that, Mikey.

doubleu
    Free Member

A shame its discontinued on CRC, but if you can find it elsewhere I can recommend this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-critical-enduro-vest

I had a rather nasty off in a steep rock garden and only suffered heavy bruising in various places. Would have been a lot worse without it.

Although the pictures dont show, it has spine protection and almost every single pad can be removed if needed.

oldtalent
    Free Member

I’ve crashed loads in my tld 7### upper armour. It’s bloody brilliant. I was going to buy some have hard armour, but will probably get another one of these.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Body armour vests / shirts’ is closed to new replies.