Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Body armour request for petite woman
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have a female friend who has just bought herself a new bike.

She is currently recovering from breast cancer and, because of the surgery runs the risk of lymphatic edema in her arm; it can be caused by a bang or a knock.
    To combat this she wants some arm pads*, she's only little ate 4'11! and 8 stone so what would fit her/give her decent coverage?

*Yes, i know all the arguments about pad wear but she wants them so why not?

bluebird
    Free Member

I've got a female friend who rides in armour for DH. She struggled to find a descent fit too.

The best advice I can give you is phone around the shops to see if anyone has S, XS or children's sizes in stock then go and try them on. Failing that order several sizes/makes from CRC and accept you'll have to pay to post the ones that don't fit back.

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

Maybe something like THIS will install more confidence , good price atm , considering the cost of decent pads.

da funk

genesis
    Free Member

Have a look at POC stuff, or how about the snow/ski stuff as it caters to a wider range of sizes.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I've only experience of knee pads, but I find the Kyle Strait Youth size fit me very well and I'm 5'3" and under 8 stone.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Think the pressure suit might be a bit overkill! Good price though.

She's been told by the oncology nurses not to ride again for fear or an edaema (sp?) but she said stuff that!

All good suggestions here, thanks will investigate further.

TBH i think it's more about giving her confidence rather than any real practical protection pads may give her arm but hey, if it reduces the chance of an edaema by 40% then it's a good start.

geoffj

Oops, wrong thread 😳

GavinB

Good advice there Geoff. 🙂

solar
    Free Member

My missus wears the race face DIY women's specific arm/leg stuff. Seems to fit good, she's about 5"2. Have a look see what you think.

click here

dogmatix

when you say arm protection what do you mean? Is it somewhere specific on the arm? many armours are more shoulder, forearm, back and chest orientated. Also what kind of riding does your friend do?

Also what kind of knock/injury causes a problem? It may be worth asking manufacturers what kind of impact is protected.

not sure when 661 will have this in country but looks lighter than most…

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=46000965-d1f3-4875-ac43-0ea0ee9aff46&product=5b8eaa4e-58b7-4e36-8d47-fd71fa59be68

also maybe look for one with removable back plate/kidney strap as this causes a lot of heat to be trapped, and if she isn't doing full on down hill it isnt that necessary.

dogmatix

this looks like it protects arm muscle well…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30723

as the other person said best to order a few…

Bunnyhop

I've got the 661 elbow pads, however I have to wear them upside down, so they stay on. She won't notice them when riding.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

She's a new rider with a little Kona Kula 2009 so she won't be doing owt bonkers thats for sure.

From what i understand a bruise or damage to her arm can cause an edema to happen and her arm will swell up with retained lymphatic fluid, giving her an 'elephant arm' so to speak. It won't kill her but it will be uncomfortable and unsightly.

dogmatix

where abouts on her arm? is it more about the soft tissue in the upper arm?

I have seen people on other forums recommend this stuff

http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/performance_upgrade_garment.asp

meant to be light and flexible and they have a picker for different parts of body….

http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/product_selector.asp

sure if you called them they could help you out. They are a UK company. No experience of them myself, but the prototype 661 stuff looks like it is using the same technology (from what i have seen in magazines) meant to be light very flexible and spreads impact better… so sounds ideal…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Body armour request for petite woman’ is closed to new replies.