Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • body armour recommendations
  • whitestone
    Free Member

OK, off to the Alps in a couple of weeks and SWMBO has <ahem>suggested</ahem> that I get some knee and elbow pads. A quick search indicates that there are three types:

ultra-light: seem more for show
    soft: malleable protection pads
    hard: moulded plastic protection

There’s also either knee or knee/shin protection.

Given that after this trip they will see mind-bogglingly intermittent use and I’m about as likely to head off on a downhill course as take up smoking crack-cocaine, what do folk recommend?

rocketman
    Free Member

You’ve summed it up yourself

The light ones are comfortable and all the rest of it and protect against trail rash and suchlike but the limited adjustment and coverage means they have to fit well to work properly (dainese trail skins TL 5400s)

The soft ones are pretty good I had an incident the other month and managed to take the skin off the outside of my right leg and bruise it. The skin was intact and unmarked where the knee pads were (661 Evo). Compared to hardshells they’re very light but finding some that fit can be tricky

The hard ones are really tough and secure if there’s a possibiity you’ll be stacking it big time and knees are involved I wouldn’t hesitate. The full coverage means they stay in place pretty good and although they appear bulky in practice it’s not a problem (Fox Launch/NP Critical/Scott Grenade)

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I like knee + shin and a sleeveless core saver for back protection,

I’ve never beaten my elbows up in a crash all that badly, and anything that restricts arm circulation when riding alpine descents isn’t for me.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Im using Nukproof critical knee pads and crc brand x elbow pads. The Nukeproof knee pads are comfy and pretty sturdy, think they were around £40. Elbow pads only £12.00 and seem good for the money

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘body armour recommendations’ is closed to new replies.