Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Body armour for uplift days – what is the consensus?
  • neiloxford
    Free Member

So doing some uplift days every couple of weeks at the moment, and noticing most people have some sort of body armour and thinking I should get some, especially after hearing about broken backs and the like…

My current thoughts are:

The 661 evo suit:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-evo-pressure-suit-2013/rp-prod72444

Or the core saver with some specific elbow pads yet to be investigated:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-core-saver-ce-2013/rp-prod72489

The core seems to have kidney coverage, where the evo has the arms and shoulders, not sure which is more important?

zerocool

I’ve had a core saver for years and can recommend them, and then I have the option of wearing elbow pads if i want to (normally don’t).

I’ve definitely tested out the armour on some big stacks at both speed and height and always lived to tell the tale.

Tom KP.

stu170
    Free Member

I always laughed at armour. Stupidity and naivety I guess. Last uplift resulted in the 2nd break of the collarbone. Next time I will be wearing armour if the mrs ever lets me uplift again

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Armour isn’t for sissies, it’s for folk who don’t want to be off the bike for months on end after a silly “off”

Protect your knees, elbows, hands and shoulders as a minimum IMO.

I’ve got a fox Titan suit but prefer to just use elbow and knee pass myself as I don’t like the fox suit much. It only gets used on uplift “Alp” type holidays.

Out of your choices, the core saver looks interesting but I think I’d prefer more of a tee shirt style to protect the shoulders more.

neiloxford
    Free Member

Its the back and chest I am really interested in looking after so think a tee shirt style is out of the running. The benefit of the core is I can get the elbow pads separately and adjust what I wear to the terrain which seems sensible.

campkoala
    Free Member

Armour can’t stop a broken collar bone or vertebrae unless the break is from directly landing on a rock etc. Which isn’t often how these breaks happen.

kimbers

Bits i hurt when crashing on dh are Knees shoulders and elbows ime and spine protection too

But as its an uplift you ain’t pedaling much and more armore = more incidence IMO so may s well go full storm trooper

Northwind

There’s a middle ground between the coresaver and pressure suit, 661 do their assault suit which is torso and shoulders but not forearms, works really well as it’s easier to get a good fit when you’re choosing your own arm guards. Also obviously easier to dispense with one piece or the other. (other companies are available 😉

I use an IXS Hammer but it’s hard to recommend, the protection and comfort is good but the back protector is massive and turns you into a hunchback)

Actually now I think of it I still have an old Assault Suit somewhere- had to replace it for race regs but it’s still good, if you want a cheap option.

campkoala – Member

Armour can’t stop a broken collar bone or vertebrae unless the break is from directly landing on a rock etc. Which isn’t often how these breaks happen.

It can spread the loads a little for collarbones but yep, chances are if you were going to break it, you still will. You do slide and roll much better in armour which is the main difference (also depending on the rider might be less likely to stick out an arm)

For vertebrae… spines are pretty easy to protect from impact (which is a likely result of a big crash) and from overextension/twisting (also likely). What’s not so easy is c-spine injuries, that’s where toilet seats come in. So a body suit isn’t a cure-all but it could make a major difference.

kimbers

+1 on the assault suit I’ve got one that I still use though I’m looking at something like the bluegrass grizzly t with d30 stuff

neiloxford
    Free Member

The d30 stuff, would that be as good for protection of the chest and back?

Will have a look at the 661 assault, sounds like a good mid way approach…

campkoala
    Free Member

I realise you seem to be STWs resident DH expert these days Northwich but only a complete noob to crashing would say body armour makes rolling and sliding out of crashes easier.. It doesn’t at all. How many dirt jumpers and bMXers wear it? Where bailing safely is pretty much a requirement .

neiloxford
    Free Member

Thanks for replies all, after much deliberation went with the core saver.

Northwind

campkoala – Member

I realise you seem to be STWs resident DH expert these days Northwich but only a complete noob to crashing would say body armour makes rolling and sliding out of crashes easier.. It doesn’t at all. How many dirt jumpers and bMXers wear it?

I’m hardly a dh expert but I have crashed a bit 😉 It’s obvious that hard plastic slides better than human flesh- bigger, rounder, smoother surfaces slide better, if I land on my shoulder or elbow pads they skite along much better than I do and they dig in less. Rocket science this is not. Crashing isn’t what breaks you, it’s stopping, and anything that means you take longer to stop reduces damage.

What has dirt jumping or BMX got to do with it? Heavier body armour restricts movement which is a bigger disadvantage for a jumper than a mtber. And of course, fashion plays a part too, your sisters’ jeans are the ideal riding kit. But mostly, they are different sports with different needs.

campkoala
    Free Member

What’s obvious is that you haven’t skited along nearly enough to categorically state which option slides or rolls better and haven’t even thought about which is more likely to dig in or allow least restrictive movement during the slide/roll/ejection.
    Relying on body armour to save you is not always the best option. 😉

darkslider
    Free Member

The only reason dirt jumpers and BMXers don’t wear body armour and a full face is because it’s not fashionable. Like you said, coming up short and huge bails are pretty much standard especially if you’re just starting out so you’d be daft not to get some pads on!

Luckily downhilling doesn’t have (quite) the same fashion stigma attached to it.

campkoala
    Free Member

Ha ha.. Hilarious! 😀

You obviously haven’t witnessed the toilet seat and PJ parade at Glentress playpark (12-3 sat/Sundays as long as it’s not spitting)

Full facers reduce line of sight considerably for dirt jumping and knee pads are much more useful protection than an upper body suit for bailing a dirt jump.
    I’d rather wear no helmet jumping than a full face.

peterfile
    Free Member

You obviously haven’t witnessed the toilet seat and PJ parade at Glentress playpark (12-3 sat/Sundays as long as it’s not spitting)

+1 🙂

It’s like the final scene from Seasons at Whistler Bike Park!

Northwind

campkoala, have you ever met our absent friend GW? 😆 You 2 should hook up.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

you might get luck and find an upper suit that fits great, but I’ve seen plenty of suits with the arms hacked off to know that core savers are a good comprimise

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Body armour for uplift days – what is the consensus?’ is closed to new replies.