Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Body Armour
  • hainman
    Free Member

Having recently had major bowel surgery and left with a stoma,im now a bit more apprehensive about my riding,As to how i protect my stoma,so my question is would wearing a type of body armour suit type thing be of any benefit?partly to protect my stoma and partly to reduce the chance of my bag splitting if i have an off….

Not looking for stormtrooper grade armour but something that will give me peace of mind and some form of protection to my lower torso.waist to mid torso range….

many thanks

Craig

superdan

A good friend of mine (no longer with us unfortunately) had a similar problem post bowel surgery, and managed to find an armoured stoma bag thing that he seemed to think would prevent any issues. He just wore it under his jersey.

hainman
    Free Member

Thanks Superdan,sorry to hear about your friend.ive had a wee peek online but only came across one thats nearly the price or more than some of the body armour jackets,

hainman
    Free Member
    superdan

Yeah, just been digging back through Andy’s Blog, sad times. He got some kit from these guys: http://www.ostomyarmor.com/
    It depends on what you ride, but a belt like that is more aimed at MX type stuff isn’t it?

His blog is here:
    http://ileostomy.wordpress.com/2010/09/10/half-way-through-and-some-cheeky-biking/
    It gets a bit sad at the end 🙁 but might be worth a browse.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I just read Andys blog, moved me to tears what brave guy.

hainman
    Free Member

Thanks Superdan,really sad reading,its amazing that he managed to fight on so long as somedays im hardly wanting to get out of bed and i only had Crohns…BOWEL DISEASE.it doesnt take any prisoners,very hard to live a normal day to day life,but now ive had my op,hopefully i can get back to a certain degree of normality.I’ll be looking into that stoma guard,it looks exactly what i need,thanks again for your time

Craig

crikey
    Free Member

Craig, I think it needs saying that your attitude and approach to getting on with your life in the face of something that a large number of people have great difficulty dealing with does you proud.
    Keep on keeping on fella!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Hope you find some suitable armour. Keep on riding dude.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Defo keep plugging away fella.

On the armour note have a look at dye paintball gear they do good supportive shorts.

hainman
    Free Member

@Crikey,ChunkyMTB &Larrythelathe thank you for your kind words,my biking is one of the reasons im positive as just buying a new bike before my op,and having had so so much fun on it i’ll be damned if im letting this beat me.

The look on the Physios face when i asked her when i would be back rididng trail centres and jumps.She was in total shock as it was 2 days after Surgery.Onwards and upwards….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Body Armour’ is closed to new replies.