Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Body Armour?
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Right – I have been booked onto one of Mr Oxley’s courses at the end of the month by my rather splendid partner. The email suggested that some armour was recommended… now I am usually averse to such things figuring that they are for middle manager types turning up at trail centres trying to look “rad”. But then figured that perhaps they may make me a little more inclined to push myself a little harder and try stuff I would usually get “the fear ™” of so perhaps he has a point.

Now… my question is… what do I need to get? I had a look and frankly it all looked a bit StarWars and is so far off my radar that it hasn’t even registered.

I was looking at the 661 Rhythm stuff on CRC as it is very, very cheap – is this what I want, or do I need to go a bit more towards the storm trooper look?

Knee armour is strongly recommended, elbows as an extra… is it worth going both?

gears_suck
    Free Member

Depends how rad you want to look.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Well obviously I need to look Rad to the Max and full of Gnarrr for said course. Or in reality – I don’t care 😉 I honestly have absolutely no idea on this stuff!

Northwind

It’s only worth wearing pads if you fall off 😉

Knee pads are pretty easy, there’s loads of good ones but fit is important, get ye to a shop if you can. 661 Rage, Fox Attack, Scott Grenade etc etc. Don’t be put off by bulk- mostly trying to make a pad skinny makes it less protective but also less comfy, since they end up denser and firmer. A big soft cushion is generally better.

Elbows aren’t so easy, soft elbow pads are mostly not very good. I never found one I’d recommend tbh.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

ta – will try and pop into a shop sometime and peruse the knee pad options then!

I have a couple of weeks in hand!

Junkyard
    Free Member

knee pads are surprisingly comfortable/not notices

I use Kyle straits in summer and full leg Race face ones in winter when icy – warmth /waterproofness and good protection for unexpected ice dismount

With elbow pads make sure they fit your arms and also fit your arms with your winter stuff on as well

Torso stuff – i just borrow something from a mate from this Parish as it seems expensive for the couple of times a decade i would need it

proutster
    Free Member

For elbows I’d recommend the G-Form ones, the slimmest ones I’ve tried on but the black magic polymer stuff in them really seems to have worked – I’ve had a couple of big offs that have involved landing on elbows and arms and have come out unscathed.

The last of these three shows the G-Form pad in action 😳

Oooops

timidwheeler

Have a look at the Troy Lee stuff. I have some knee/top of shin pads and elbow/forearm. They are a sleeker profile and look a bit more subtle. I found them quite comfortable. Crc have a couple of quid off at the moment and you can always collect + them back if the fit doesn’t work for you.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

On the flipside, TLD have never agreed with my body shape.

661 Kyle Straits are great, but similar to above, I’ve not found an elbow pad I’d totally endorse.

Take a bit of time trying some stuff on if you can, otherwise make an educated guess. 😉

Northwind

I’m totally happy with my POC Bones elbows, mind, but they’re expensive and stupid looking so not for most people I reckon. They do make absolutely everything else seem **** though.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I thought going without pads is for bimbling and not trying. If you are pushing yourself then you will fall; pads save annoying injuries. They are not a comfort blanket.

There are some decent greaves these days. I’m vey happy with my Endura MT500 which have helped with a couple of OTB tuck and roll incidents on DH trails recently. ( I’m an xc rider so I tend to have the odd crash on more techy stuff)

I take them off for long climbs because they get sweaty

cnud
    Free Member

I had an off at Stile Cop yesterday with Poc Bone elbows and as with all the other elbow pads I’ve tried they just slip around on impact and I ended up with a massive gravel rash and skinned elbow. Back to the drawing board for me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some options
    [/url] Mega 2011 by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr[/img]
    My full on trail, prefer knee shin to just knees as there is a lot of low lying debris around and thrown up rocks

ML8_3956 by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr
    The IT Middle Manager on a RAD AS **** Fire Road look

Being chased by Josh Carlson Bike Buller Stage 2 by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr
    Same gear but being chased by a Giant Team Free ride rider

Ways to spend a weekend while broken by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr
    What armour can’t save you from…

Knee shin in my fav, good elbows are hard to come by, if your pushing yourself expect to fail and fall off, it’s part of learning.

longmover
    Free Member

I have never found a pair of elbow pads that fit my long skinny arms very well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Body Armour?’ is closed to new replies.