Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • body armor and foam grips
  • bear-uk
    Free Member

Need some ideas on what to get please. Mainly XC singletrack trail centres, nothing extreme, no black stuff only red as I'm to scared to even go down any more than 5 steps.
    Took a tumble doing some technical stuff and decided seeing as I dont get sick pay, something like arm and knee protection is required.
    Also what decent foam grips do you use?
    Steve.

jambon
    Free Member

Really like ODI lock-on grips, but I have big hands so not everyones cuppa.

There is always debate about armour. Personally, I hit a trail harder and ride better when I know that if I do fall off I'm not going to hurt afterwards – I'm self employed as well. I like to put elbow pads on in any rocky situation as I've taked the skin of my elbows so many times now it aint funny. Kyle Straits are good for legs as you can wear them all day but dont do shins which is the bit I normally cut.

It's a bummer that more shops don't sell armour as getting the correct fit is really important.

Coyote
    Free Member

Race Face Dig knee pads are very comfortable and have a good level of protection.

Foam grips? ODI Ruffians are the grip of choice.

Northwind

For knees, 661 Kyle Strait knee are excellent, comfy and very protective. A wee bit sweaty but not badly. When you see them, they look a bit enormous and "extreme" but that's why they work- small pads tend to be uncomfortable, big pads have room to move.

For elbows, I'm not sure… I wear 661 Chicken Wings but they're sweaty and slightly restrictive, I'm not all that impressed with them. Just got some POC Bones, which are a) expensive and b) look like I'm auditioning as an imperial stormtrooper. But they're comfy and much less sweaty, and have a lot of protection. They're supposed to be one-size-fits-all but they're slightly too big for my pipecleaner arms.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Northwind lol. Its the stormtrooper bit I dont like. They seem over engineered for the type of riding I do. I to am a skinney git, thats hy some so called mates call me bones. (bastards)

Northwind

Yup. But the thing is, they're about twice the size and twice the protection of my chicken wings, which are little minimalist pads, but they weigh the same, and they're nothing like as sweaty- so yeah, OTT maybe but they're a bit more practical. I guess I just haven't found the right pads for the arms yet

(if POC made a smaller size, and in black or grey instead of stormtrooper white, I'd get those for sure.

ojom
    Free Member

The answer you are looking for is POC.

New stock is due… may be a wee while off though. No dates.

Coyote
    Free Member

661 Dirt Jumper Elbows are pretty good.

Click Here

bear-uk
    Free Member

Coyote Those pads look like them old type knee pads used by carpet fitters. They do look as if they will take a few knocks though. Good link with size chart.

Coyote
    Free Member

Your elbows will be very safe. Guarenteed.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Ritchey foam grips are the ones,cheap and very comfortable.
    Can't help with the pads. I'm self-employed,so can't afford time off work..but pads just seem wrong to me….and what about the areas not protected by armour?

bear-uk
    Free Member

Dave. Googled foam grips and the Richey ones seem the favorite choice. Which ones plain or ergo?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘body armor and foam grips’ is closed to new replies.