Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bodgers question – screws in plastic, getting them tighter
  • leffeboy

I’ve got a dishwasher that is leaking slightly because the bottom plastic tray with the filter/motor in it isn’t attached tightly enough to the main chamber. One of the 4 screws that holds it in place feels like it will strip if I turn it any tighter and it really isn’t very tight at the moment. The rest feel normal

So, the question is can I do anything to make the screw tighter. If it were going into wood a matchstick would work but I’m not sure what I can use here. Would hard plastic glue do it for example or is that not structural enough

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fill with epoxy and let dry.

Then drill pilot hole and fit screw.

Other wise through drill and epoxy a nut on the other side of possible ?

leffeboy

Not a bad idea on the epoxy and pilot hole. Might try that
    Can’t drill all the way through though because of where it is

Splash-man
    Free Member

You could removed the tray and apply a bead of silicon sealant before reassembling.
    If needed you could break the seal in the future with a Stanley knife.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

You could use a slightly bigger screw. As in fatter not longer.

Or can you drill a new hole 10mm to the side of the existing hole and so have a new fastening place?

leffeboy

You could use a slightly bigger screw. As in fatter not longer.

that might be possible actually. It goes into a pillar but it’s quite large

I decided against the silicone route as I don’t know how it will react to the dishwasher chemicals and I’m trying to avoid dismantling the while thing if I can just bodge it

senorj

If the “fatter” screw is too long , just cut the end off , or pack it with washers.
    I’ve got loads of self tappers in the shed you could have…. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bodgers question – screws in plastic, getting them tighter’ is closed to new replies.