Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bodge too far? 9/10 Speed Mix
  • rwc03
    Free Member

I’ve just installed a 2012 10 speed xt crank on an 2010 xt 9 speed rear mech and cassette, and it runs fine up front but slips at the rear. I’m using a 10 speed sram 1031 chain but it keeps slipping under load on all but the smallest rear cog. I can’t quite see where it’s slipping but it looks like the rear mech (it’s definitely not skipping between cogs). The rear jockey wheels and cassette don’t look worn, but could they be?

Have I tried to do something which will not work, and now got to stump up the rest for full 10 speed?

Thanks

RealMan
    Free Member

Problem could be from a number of things. Most likely it’s because you’re trying to run a 10 speed chain on a 9 speed cassette. Unless your cassette or chain is worn?

flow
    Free Member

New chain, worn cassette. Although I don’t think 9 and 10 speed are compatible.

rwc03
    Free Member

It’s a brand new chain, so maybe skipping on the cassette then?

From what I’ve read and been told on here they should be in theory, as they have the same internal chain width, but 10 speed has slightly smaller outer width.

flow
    Free Member

Yeah you can’t use a new chain with an old cassette

rwc03
    Free Member

Thanks flow, just searched this and that seems like it’s the problem. Costly attempt!

flow
    Free Member

No worries.

Are you slowly hanging to 10 speed?

If not this is a bargain, I just bought one myself.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Transmission++Gears/Cassettes+-+MTB/Sram+PG970+9+Speed+Cassette_SRAM-PG970-MASTER.htm

rwc03
    Free Member

If it wasn’t for the fact they’re making it obsolete I’d happily stick with 9. That is a bargain, merlin have some excellent prices at the moment, managed to get a dt swiss 240s front wheel for 80 quid off them this week.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

10spd chains dont work on 9spd blocks.fact

rwc03
    Free Member

For anybody interested or trying to do the same this is now working after putting a new 9 speed cassette on.

You have to run it with a 10 speed chain. In theory you should be able to use a 9 speed chain as the internal chain width is the same and ring spacing is still within limits. However, shimano on their 10 speed chainsets have machined in a shift down/up feature below the rings to give smoother gear changes. Meaning it runs fine on the outer ring, but if you shift down it will ever so slightly rub on the lower part of the larger adjacent ring. (hope that makes sense)

m1kea
    Free Member

bikerbruce – Member

Bugger, I better go and take the 10 spd chains off the three 9 spd bikes I’ve been running for the past 2 or 3 years. Oh and I also mustn’t forget the 8 spd wheel I occasionally use……

On a slightly connected note, for those that use Shim chains, are you using 3rd party power links? I gave up with Shim’s connector pin back in 2003 and am curious what their new mtb 10 speed kit is like, seeing as they seem to have engineered subtle differences in.

DezB
    Free Member

If it wasn’t for the fact they’re making it obsolete I’d happily stick with 9

Ah, so that’s the selling point!

Coincidentally, my 8 speed is still running fine and parts are easily available.

anjs
    Free Member

I think there is a KMC reusable one. The Sram powelock ones are single use for 10 speed

rwc03
    Free Member

I’m using a sram chain with a re-usable kmc connector which is designed for Shimano chains. You’re right anjs the sram powerlocks are one use.

I haven’t heard one good thing about 10 speed Shimano chains, so went with sram.

njee20
    Free Member

Not true, they work fine.

The issue here is you have a new chain on a worn cassette. 10 speed chains do work with 9 speed blocks, weight weenies have been doing it for years. Either buy a new 9 speed cassette, or a 10 speed cassette, shifter and mech.

Edit: KMC links are very good, and reusable amd Shimano 10 speed chains are fine, although I’ve now got an X10SL. SRAM are overpriced IMO.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bodge too far? 9/10 Speed Mix’ is closed to new replies.