Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bodge Content – Bearing removal
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

Stupidly I have taken the opportunity of the snow and ice to "maintain" my bike

I am changing the frame bearings on my FS

The ones near the chainstay were turned to paste and mush and needed Dremeling out

The ones near the BB however are in good nick, apart from some play, but just wont budge

Ive tried 24h soaking in WD40 and gentle use of a screwdriver and rubber mallet without joy
    I really dont want to Dremel these as well as Ive used up all my patience 🙂

What tricks if any am I missing?
    Or is a bearing puller the only way to do it?
    (BTW I dont have any welding gear)

I cant be the only one to have refurbed his FS bearings can I?

Cheers

Smee
    Free Member

bigger hammer.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Two sockets and a vice

One socket to push the bearing, the other for the frame to rest against and allow the bearing space to come out. The vice to squash it all out. Easy

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Heat the housing – even boiling water will help

Potdog
    Free Member

Where only 1 face of the bearing is accessible, if you push the bearing from the "blind" side is there a risk that the centre and bearings will come out but leave the outer race stuck in the frame? Or am I being a bit pessimistic before looking at replacing my bearings 😕

Saying that, a bearing puller would have to yank on the same surface, so I guess I'm being a bit cautious.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Yeah bearing puller is the way forward, mine too on my Coiler were all seized (4hrs with the right tool got them out in the end as all bar two came out in pieces and I had to use the puller oin the outer races too).
    Get some PlusGas and soak them in that first overnight, makes a hell of a difference.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I've used an old wheel axle with an array of washers as a bodge-it puller. Worked pretty well.

Olly
    Free Member

bearing puller is EASY to make.

you need:

a QR.

an appropriate sized socket to do the pushing/pulling of the bearing
    enough sockets to build up the length of the QR, OR i found an old QR axel from a deore hub, cut it in half, and positioned the cones as pushers.

ala:

in this pic, the socket on the left is supporting the frame around the bearing, and the old cone on the right of the socket, is pushing the old bearing out, by gently, tightening the QR, then releasing it, taking up the slack with the thread, then retightening the QR.
    to push the new bearing in, i used the same socket to support the frame, and then a smaller socket that fitted on the outer race of the new bearing, and pushed them in again.

your welcome!

Olly
    Free Member

same again, on the upper link

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bodge Content – Bearing removal’ is closed to new replies.