Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bob Jackson respray
  • jakd95
    Free Member

I’ve saved up a few pennies and I’m looking at getting my 1993 steel road bike resprayed. It’s all rather tatty and scratched now and rather worse for wear. It looks to be about £120 for a new metallic colour (plus extra for new decals), which although expensive, if it lasts another 25 years is bearable.

Am I right in thinking it’s worth spending the extra for getting it sprayed rather than powder coated? It’s a decent frame (531 Competition) but not one that I can ever see myself selling.

Has anyone had any experience with Bob Jackson? They are appealing due to being located in Leeds (only a few miles from where I am) so I can actually drop the frame off and collect, rather than pay another ~£50 for a courier.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I bought a 2nd hand Voodoo Wanga which had been resprayed to a metallic peacock blue and it was rather nice.

right hand one of these :

might even suite your bike.

plus-one

All the scratches/marks etc tell a story and are part of the bikes history … They all happened under your ownership and took 25 years to make them 8)

Unless the paint is totally shot I’d leave as is … Wee clean up and touch in is all that’s needed ..

But yes Jackson do a good job I’m told .. Worth checking out local paint shops(car) etc too ..

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I have a Bob Jackson, so am somewhat biased. I took it back for a respray which I am extremely pleased with. I have a feeling there was an older chap who did the painting, who was nearing retirement (for which read long past it but no one had told him).

There’s an overwhelming choice of colours, and obviously the opportunity for any repairs or adjustments to be made. I had a small dent filled (with brazing) and wish I’d gone for another set of bottle cage mounts. I’ll just have to get them done next time.

The result includes everything that was good about the old bike, but shiny and new!

firestarter
    Free Member

I had this done a few years back by them very good quality and hand lined lugs. Beautiful finish in the flesh

ads678

Mate had a Transition TR450 resprayed at Bob Jackson. Just white but he very was pleased with the finish.

carlosg
    Free Member

1st pic was a loooong time ago (canti mounts still taped) and the second is about 8-9 years old( now sold to a forum member) , both paint jobs were really well done and lasted fairly well to say they were fairly well hammered by myself. They would last much longer on a road bike,no complaints about Bob Jackson paint jobs from me.

jakd95
    Free Member

Cheers all, they sound like they’ll do a decent job then.

@plus one – I get that, but it’s kind of getting to the point where it’s rusting rather badly in places and i’d like to halt that. It’s going to be retired to occasional dry use and fully restored. Although they did take 25 years to make, the bike is actually older than me!

@Turner Guy – That peacock blue looks great! I’m going to try and get as close a match to the current colour as possible.

It’s good to hear they’ll fill dents with braze, there’s a small one on the seatstay that needs doing.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

@Turner Guy – That peacock blue looks great! I’m going to try and get as close a match to the current colour as possible

This link goes to a better picture :

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/12489286_1015311571864985_1017285134452883007_o.jpg

dave661350

Depending which side of Leeds you are, also look at Chris Marshall in Keighley. His lock up is behind Colin Appleyard Suzuki. He did a superb job on my wifes Boardman last year and was a bit cheaper than Bob Jackson.
    Chris Marshall Cycles
    Tel: 01535 691073
    Unit 1, Cornmill Garage, Ingrow Bridge, Keighley, West Yorkshire, BD21 5AX

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve seen a couple of recent Jackson’s and the finish has been ace. Their work is pretty good value compared to other similar companies and personally, I’d avoid those operating from lock ups, sheds etc. Sorry.

I had my tourer refinished at Mercian in ’98, 18 years after buying it. The finish is first class still with just a few marks and whatnott. IIRC, the work then was near £400 after all the bits n bobs. It is nice though.

davosaurusrex

I had the front triangle of a 5 spot done in burnt copper metallic about 8 years ago. They did a great job and IIRC it cost £70 which I thought was a bargain

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yep, as above not cheap but top work. Had 3 frames refinished in the past, 2 x new Inbreds (one with chrome plated dropouts) and one Orange C16R which had disc mounts added and the fork steerer sleeved to accept aheadset.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bob Jackson respray’ is closed to new replies.