Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Bob Dylan – what's his best album?
  • noteeth
    Free Member

Blood on the tracks here.

adstick
    Free Member

Grumm! Wash your mouth out!!!!

My favorites are Blood on the tracks, Freewheelin', John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline, Highway 61, I could go on.

He's important because he bridges the gap between so many musical styles of the 20th century, also if you've listened to his radio shows he has the best taste in music ever. Fact!

I understand what people say about his voice. He doesn't have a 'good' voice, however he is a great singer.

mt
    Free Member

Grumm – the great poet thing is pretty much correct, if you read the odd bit of poetry then I think you should agree. As you say "works on paper".

"The voice of a generation" That the label he does not like and one of the reasons he'ed be very difficult in interviews. In other interviews done by people with no preconceived idea who or what is/was he is very open and genuine. I do recall seeing him interviewed by a guy for a BBC world service Africa programme and he was the perfect interviewee(?). Thinks in that film Don't Look Now(?).

ransos
    Free Member

Which album was Positively 4th Street on? I really like that song…

simonb256
    Free Member

Another vote for the Freewheelin album.

Bob Dylan to me is just a great lyricist, I had to agree that his musical skills are lacking but it doesn't really matter when listening to him properly.

nickc

I'm with Grumm, never got Bob Dylan at all. Dull overwrought 6th form poetry sung through a nasally whine that could pass the test of a "Cruel and Unusual Punishment"

Also I'd like the jury to take into consideration that I can't really listen to Led Zeppelin without being strapped to a chair first, and Van Morrison is more or less un-listenable to as far as I'm concerned.

TheBear
    Free Member

he has the best taste in music ever. Fact!

Agreed.

Spectral-Alphabet
    Free Member

I must admit that my favourite stuff is mostly outtakes and live versions (i.e. Blind Willie McTell and the first electric Newport stuff) plus the proper folk stuff.

However album wise:

Freewheelin'
    Bringing it all back home
    Highway 61
    Blonde on Blonde
    Blood on the Tracks

I do like Street Legal and, somewhat bizarrely, Slow Train Coming…

Whilst I like Desire I'd not rave about it.

He is definitely an acquired taste. If you don't 'get' him I guess you never will.

stratobiker
    Free Member

grumm, you just really don't like him do you?
    That's OK

I hate his harmonica playing. His guitar skills aren't great. His voice hurts my ears. He's written some shitty shite…….
    I still think he's a master/genius.

SB

downgrade
    Free Member

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan is one of my favourite albums by anyone, after that I would go for Highway 61.

> ransos – I don't think Positively 4th Street is on any albums except compilations

stuey
    Free Member

" Some people don't live or die, some people just float, so she went with the man in the long black coat"

Rhymes see 😉

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Highway 61 Revisited
    Blood on the Tracks
    Oh Mercy

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Bob Dylan – what's his best album?’ is closed to new replies.