Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • boat race
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Most of what you posted above doesn’t make any sense..

Should have gone to school then! 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Tedious in the extreme.

Maybe it time for this thread to die away if that the best that you can come up with.

loddrik
    Free Member

Actually it should have ceased several replies ago.

Be my guest and get the last word in, please…

donsimon
    Free Member

Aaaw! Bless.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You see that isn’t remotely relevant and definitely a crap attemp at humour..

Wel I thought it was funny, and that’s all that matters really, as my onion is more valid than yours, being that I am morally superior to you. 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Bet it didn’t make you laugh as much as I did at the public school/council estate yarn though…

trailmonkey

right, you lot need putting in your places.

the salient point about this argument isn’t about toffs and proles, its about the hegemony of oxbridge values. now you could define that in class terms but i think we’ve come a little further than to expect every oxbridge graduate to be a toff.

Elfin made the point……….

Sport is sport. Live and let people enjoy. FFS, the boat race is on once a year. How much other rowing stuff do the Beeb show?

I agree, rowing is an under shown sport and deadlydarcy’s post proves that it’s a sport that’s participated in by a wide mix of society so why is it’s only representation the oxbridge boat race ?

why is the varsity match still televised live every december ?

because the oxbridge influence is so pervasive in govt and in the media that we are fed this stuff without the need to validate it and over time accept it as some kind of national institution even though it has no connection for the vast majority of us.

i accept the need that some folk have for traditions, it bothers me that some traditions have automatic primacy over others. it bothers me further that people just accept that without question.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

right, you lot need putting in your places.

I sense a fail coming up….

And here it is….

so why is it’s only representation the oxbridge boat race ?

You mean apart from the coverage of World Cup and Olympic rowing?

But there’s more…!

because the oxbridge influence is so pervasive in govt and in the media

Wooo! Tin foil hats all round! Illuminati in lycra, the lot of ’em!

😉

trailmonkey

You mean apart from the coverage of World Cup and Olympic rowing?

Yeah point taken rowing’s on all the time 🙄

Hit a nerve about oxbridge though by the look of it flash, your alma mater by any chance ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

because the oxbridge influence is so pervasive in govt and in the media

Definitely hit a nerve there. And he’s not wrong you know.

I’m guessing that the Oxbridge senior crews are probably two of the best crews in the country – outside of Leander and the GB Squad. I wish there was an FA Cup type competition for ALL universities that showed the rowing talent from the whole country over – but for now, we get red button coverage for the WC and obviously the ‘limpics every four years. And outside of that spectacle, the rest of the year, my impoverished club just chugs along with all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds.

I even saw an otter the other night – no fear you’d get to see that trailing along behind a powerboat doing that wakeboarding or waterskiiing shite that flashfart does 🙄

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘boat race’ is closed to new replies.