Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Boat anchor chain, any good as bike lock
  • shaggymetcalfe
    Free Member

Just flipping through ebay and want a load of heavy duty chain for locking up my bikes when I go on holiday. Wait and flexibility isn’t an issue. But security and cost are.

Looking at bike/motor bike chains they’re pretty pricey. Was just wondering how anchor chain would fair up. Looking at £10 a metre for 12mm boat chain compared to £30ish for bike chain.

Advice would be much appreciated. Don’t mind if you think I’m being daft and naive. Please tell me now rather than after my bikes have been swiped.

A.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Probably softer steel and much easier to cut. Will look the part which is half the battle.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Proper security chain is case hardened to make it difficult to cut with bolt croppers. I would presume boat chain isnt case hardened to allow the chain to flex slightly making it relatively easy to cut with bolt croppers.

shaggymetcalfe
    Free Member

That’s what I was wondering about. Anybody know for sure.
    If it is too soft anybody have any ideas where to get ‘hardened’ chain from at good prices.

Many thanks

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

‘I’ll be there in a minute’ shouted shaggymetcalfe as his mates entered the pub. ‘Just gotta lock my bike up’

Hairychested
    Free Member

lol! PDF

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is weak I hacksawed through mine (junior hacksaw) in about a minute – which was nice as it stoppe dtheboat sinking!!!! Looks the part but wont stand up to the test.

rickmeister

How about one of those swaged plastic coated cable jobbies from B&Q or Halfrauds? Stronger than anchor chain I bet…. just need a padlock… or can use an existing U lock if you have one….

HTH

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Boat anchor chain, any good as bike lock’ is closed to new replies.