Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Boardman Team FS, What next?
  • divenwob
    Free Member

As title,what would be a good next bike? I am 41,have been off the fags for 5 months after almost 30 years and am enjoying getting out on the bike.Obviously I need to make more improvement in my fitness but am doing bloody well and really can see / feel the difference. I would like to know if there are improvements to be make bike wise in the climbing department? Let the flaming comence… 😆
    Edit: I am regularly doing 10-15 miles off road,Ceasars Camp,Swinley,Deepcut etc.

khani
    Free Member

This is a Q only you can answer, what tickles your fancy? custom jobbies like Santa Cruz, Turner, Intense?.. or off the peg bikes like Spesh, Trek, Giant? 26-27.5-29? Give us a clue?
    Well done with the fags though 😀 good excuse to splurge on a nice dandyhorse..
    I personally think you need a Turner Tzar.. with full XTR, Fox forks and Enve wheels and finishing kit…

divenwob
    Free Member

Hi Khani, I dont have a great deal of bikes to compare with,I have ridden a mates Camber 29er and as a mile muncher it works but it is like riding a sofa,really seems to numb the experience.I would like to try and keep the price as low as possible so a used frame would probably fit my needs,making use of the bits from the Boardman.I seem to struggle with steep inclines,which I am sure is down to my technique/fitness, but if I can help myself with better/more suitable kit then why not? On the other hand (and at the risk of a ban) I would like to try a 650b, just to get it out of the way you understand!

Mackem

How about a hard-tail?

divenwob
    Free Member

I like the comfort of the fs,and if I had to choose then I will never get up those steep bits and my back will like me!I am more than happy with the bike I have but just think if I dont try I will never know. Would it be worth trying a lockable rear shock?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Could get a hardcore 26 hardtail transfer the parts over change the spacers in the sektors to 140-150. Or get a more burly fs frame and do the same.

khani
    Free Member

Sounds like you have upgraditus, the Boardmans not a bad frame tbh, try fiddling with shock and fork setup first, a few psi either way can make a difference and also bar/stem height/angle and length can help as well,
    Also better wheels and fork can make a bigger difference than a new frame, if you’ve got heavy OE wheels, a set of lighter/stiffer ones can transform a bike, there’s more to it than just the frame..
    Try and ride other bikes, try your mates bikes and get some demo rides and stuff..

divenwob
    Free Member

Think you may have something with the wheels, currently stock Mavic 317 with Formula hubs/ Minions f+r, what do we reccomend?Have replaced
    Stem 60mm Truvativ
    Cranks Xt 785 38/26
    Bars Spank Oozy
    Brakes Deore M596s
    X fusion Hilo
    and of course a Charge Spoon saddle!

Twin
    Free Member

Steep inclines will be hard work with a 26 tooth granny ring, even if its a 36 at the back. Might be worth a look at your gearing options?

andybrad

ive had the same decision to make recently. going from an fspro i ended up with a canyon al+ Completely different bikes if im honest. I had a go on a few. Some of the expensive stuff was, well expensive and i just couldn’t justify it with my current fitness (or lack of).

The boardman is a great bike. try some other folks out first and you’ll realise just how good it actually is. However the most important thing is decide if you need something different. If you need longer travel then thats one reason. Personally i wouldnt go for an all mountain hardtail.

Oh and my wallowing 150mm AL+ climbs a lot better than the boardman but it does weigh more as well. Buy something you like the look of 🙂

Oh and i spent a lot of time looking at boutique stuff after a guy turned up on a ventana. Yea its great stuff but think that theres been a lot of development in the last 10 years so i would consider getting a more mainstream brand and more upto date kit. Just food for thought.

divenwob
    Free Member

Well it started off at 42/27 upfront so was fairly leggy,good fun but hard work and a lot of changing!Was torn between 36/24 and 38/26, went for the latter but am now thinking of trying a 24t granny.I usually climb seated as much as I can, and still find I get caught out with the front lifting,practice,practice! I am in no rush to change bikes but think you are right and I should try as many as I can.Thanks for the replies.

Northwind

Which Team is it, the older more XC one or the newer longer travel one? Bit different. They’re both really good bikes though but if you’re making a pure xc bike, the old one’s a better start (and is great at it)

divenwob
    Free Member

Its the newer 2012 model,like I say I am just trying to give myself as much help as I can!

andybrad

if you compare the geo of the 2012 to a lot of other stuff, unless you want something really really slack or long travel theres nothing in it for the money

grim168
    Free Member

I love mine. Wider bars, stans rims on superstar hubs and a change of saddle. Think the suspension bearings are wearing now but for the money its a cracking bike. For a big lad i run mine quite soft.

divenwob
    Free Member

Do you think it is worth a setup session at my lbs? I am 5’8″ and feel like I could do with longer cranks, currently 175mm so not much hope of that without arriving in Rock Strike Central. It is a medium frame ,which I thought should be right,but am wondering if a large would help?

bamboo
    Free Member

If you have upgrade-itis, how about a reverb? I put one on my Boardman FS and although not cheap, I think it is a great bit of kit. Also helps with your riding as you have the saddle at the optimum height for climbing, and descending.

divenwob
    Free Member

Already got a hilo and I agree 100%!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Boardman Team FS, What next?’ is closed to new replies.