• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nathb.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Boardman road pro carbon disc, thoughts/opinions?
  • jackal
    Free Member

Anyone bought/owned/test ridden the 2016 version of the Boardman road pro carbon with discs?

My search for a reasonably priced disc (hyd) equipped carbon framed road bike has led me to this.
    The 105 spec seems great for the money and it’s not ‘too’ heavy. The couple of reviews I’ve found on the internet are favourable but there’s not much real world info about.
    Yes I know it’s a Boardman and may not be to everyone’s taste but I’m no brand snob and think it looks pretty good.

Any thoughts appreciated.

parkesie
    Free Member

Not riden the disc one but have the non disc from a few years ago and current cx team. Both excellent bikes value for money and performance wise. If it fits you youl love it.

NZCol

I picked up the dura ace disc one recently and it’s been very nice , I don’t really care about the brand but it fits and it rides well

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve serviced a few, no rougher around the edges than any other cheap chinese frame. The rear mech hangers are cheddar like though so I’d get a few spares

Get one that fits though, we see lots of mostly too big ones that presumably are the only size halfords had got when the rider went in the store. They end up looking weird (seat post put in wrong way around to make the reach shorter etc) and the most requested thing is “can you make this fit me”

jackal
    Free Member

Hmmmm, yes they seem quite long.
    If I go for it I’m opting for the 53 (medium) which has an ett of 555. My previous lapierre sensium was 547 ett (size 52 compact geometry), I’m 5’9 3/4″

I can’t find anything else other than the cube attain gtc disc for this sort of money….

rOcKeTdOg

Cubes are great (disclaimer I sell them) good value for £ and a great ride

jackal
    Free Member

So, has anyone actually bought one??? 🙂

hrgb
    Free Member

I have a 2015 boardman carbon and love it… sorry its not the disc one no but its a great ride. Gets really good reviews – its really light and handles well.

I have upgraded mine to full 105 and a SRAM front chainset with campag zonda wheels and its great.

Matt24k
    Free Member

You can buy direct from Boardman to get the full range of sizes and customise the paint on some models.
    I bought a Team Hybrid last year and the spec is hard to beat when they are doing special offers.

nano
    Free Member

Most Halfords stores don’t keep anything in stock above £1000 so that model sells less often as it relies on the customer doing some research online and / or the store staff being familiar enough with the range to offer it as an upgrade on the standard carbon model (currently £800 btw). You can check availability via Halfords website and if the bike is in stock centrally get it delivered to your local store.

Size availability (lack of) might be why people end up with the ‘wrong’ size rather than what a store has in stock as most stores (as described above) don’t stock this model anyway. Worth noting that Boardmans are typically a bit short in the top tube though.

Main issues with the carbon frame is poor fitting of the PF30 bottom bracket. Ask for it to be taken out and re assembled with carbon paste as that should deal with potential problems. Encountered the same issue with Felt frames so it’s not exclusively a Halfords issue.

HTH

DezB
    Free Member

How much is it? A fair few sales on disc brake road bikes about 105/Ultegra level around £1200-£1500 at the moment. And Rose bikes are bringing out a beauty in March.
    Nothing against the Boardman brand, I might add (my son rides one!), but it’s worth shopping around.
    Couple of egs

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/323169/products/2016-scott-solace-20-disc-carbon-road-bike-white-black-red.aspx
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ghost-nivolet-tour-disc-lc-2-road-bike-2016/rp-prod141274

DezB
    Free Member

and if you’re a 58cm frame kinda guy – this takes some beating (hopefully the yellow stickers peel off the wheels)

Cube Attain Ultegra

davieg
    Free Member

OP, I have similar requirements but debating whether or not discs really are more of a must have, than a carbon frame. The Boardman and Cubes looks good, but also debating over a Bianchi Intrepida if I can get a good deal, or opting for a Giant TCR disc or a Defy.

I see plenty of TCR’s around, but as I will never race does the Defy make more sense for all-round mile munching and comfort?

davieg
    Free Member

Oh and the Vitus Venon looks good too:
    http://www.wiggle.com/vitus-venon-disc-105-2017-road-bike/

chakaping
    Free Member

debating whether or not discs really are more of a must have, than a carbon frame.

How often are you gonna ride in the wet?

If not much, I wouldn’t make discs a priority.

DezB
    Free Member

Hey, if you don’t want discs, you’re into a whole new level of bargain hunting.
    Eg – http://www.startfitness.co.uk/forme-thorpe-elite-chorus-carbon-road-bike-for46.html (that one if you’re tiny, of course!)

jackal
    Free Member

In regard to pricing it comes in at £980ish with discounts which is the same price as the only other bike of this spec,the cube attain gtc pro disc.
    The cube is heavier though and I prefer the style of the Boardman frame but maybe not the colour scheme though!
    So yes there is some great stuff at around 1300ish but I’m not looking to spend that much unfortunately….

DezB
    Free Member

Less than a grand, with 105 and hydro discs? Sounds great to me.

nathb
    Free Member

No one mentioned the Eastway Zener D2 (105 – 2016) at £895

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Boardman road pro carbon disc, thoughts/opinions?’ is closed to new replies.