Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Boardman Pro FS 650b – Shock mounting bolts?
  • dai3015
    Free Member

Hi

After a bit of help and assistance please?

I’ve managed to find a shock to fit my frame and I think I know which mounting kit to get. The next question is where do I get the correct bolts and what size do I need?

I’ve checked the google meister and nothing seems to come up. I’ve spoken to Halfords who are less than helpful! Does anyone know what I need and where I can get them from?

If anyone has one of these bikes I’d be really grateful if they could take a photo of the shock set up for me

Many thanks

riklegge

If you go to offset bushings website, they sell non-offset versions too. The ordering system means you type in your shock and your frame, and they work out the rest.

Edit ; sorry, re-read your post and realised you already have this bit, sorry.

Hadge
    Free Member

Which year of frame do you have? I know we have a frame at work of the older version so I can check the sizes for you but I’m not back in until this coming Friday. Please email me at paul@betd.co.uk and I’ll see what I can do.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

If your on Facebook try this group always had good info when I had my boardman

https://www.facebook.com/groups/483778588458570/

poah
    Free Member

The bolts are already on your bike and to find out what size of hardware you need, take your shock off an measure the gap on the shock mounts.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

poah – Member
    The bolts are already on your bike and to find out what size of hardware you need, take your shock off an measure the gap on the shock mounts.

Not if he bought a frame with no shock….

joebristol

Which year Boardman have you got? Is it silver and green or turquoise and black?

dai3015
    Free Member

Hi

Thanks all

It’s the silver and green model & no, I haven’t got the bolts or the mounting hardware as it didn’t come with the frame

poah
    Free Member

this the one? its a 2014

you can still measure the width and the bore size of the bolt holes to find the size you need. The bolts aren’t anything fancy so any the correct size should fit.

dai3015
    Free Member

Yep, that’s the one

dai3015
    Free Member

Thanks, but it’s the actual bolts I’m looking for. I’ve got the frame, I’ve got the shock and bushings, I’ve got the measurements for the mountings but just can’t attach it all to the frame

poah
    Free Member

bolts are just bolts TBH unless the linkage has some odd recess for the head. Measure the diameter of the linkage hole and you’ll find out if its 8mm or 5mm (probably 8mm)

fooman

I think they are 8mm, I’d go with stainless bolts, washers and lock nuts making suitable replacements.

joebristol

If I get a chance tomorrow to go in the garage I’ll see if I can whip one out (a bolt to clarify) and measure the length of it.

dai3015
    Free Member

Thanks all, very much appreciated.

Will send some dm’s, and that would be great if you could measure one for me

joebristol

joebristol

There are 2 sizes of shock mountings – but they aren’t just a nut and bolt. Appears to be a shaft with an Allen head and one end, then an Allen head bolt that screws into the shaft from the other side.

The shafts both seem to be 8mm in diameter. The longer bolt is the rear most shock mount to the linkage. The short bolt is the one at the front that bolts through the frame.

Hope this helps.

dai3015
    Free Member

Brilliant, many thanks. Will take these pics with me to the ironmongers/ local bearing shop tomorrow and see what they have.
    Once again, thanks for taking the time to help out

joebristol

Maybe just take your shock bushing kit to the place with you to check 8mm definitely is the correct diameter. Hard to measure it just with a tape measure!

dai3015
    Free Member

Thanks for everyone’s help with this.

Have finally got the bike built up – haven’t taken her out yet though as weather was not the best at the weekend

Struggled with the shock bolts – had to resort to some “nearly” right ones from ebay and some washers – they seem to have done the trick for now, although Hadge is still on the look out (thanks :-))

Joebristol – thanks for taking the time to measure the bolts for me. One more question if you don’t mind? Have you had any trouble with the pivot bolts working loose? I hear it is a common complaint and wondered if you had loctited them or anything? I might do it just for peace of mind – is it just a case of undoing the hex bolts? Any idea of torque measurements when retightening?

Cheers

joebristol

After the first couple of weeks the mainoivot bolt was a bit loose, but none of the others have ever loosened. Think there is loctite on the rear most chain stay bolts from the factory if I remember rightly.

I’ve failed to get torque settings, either from Boardman direct or from Halfords. Opted for ‘VFT’! So far so good. Just be careful with the main pivot bolt, the head is made of cheese. Use good quality Allen keys and make sure you have them in straight / tight.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Boardman Pro FS 650b – Shock mounting bolts?’ is closed to new replies.