Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Boardman Pro, bargain. Im tempted.
  • tang
    Free Member

here for the spec
    £1272.69 according to WMB. reba 120 maxle, xo/x9, elixir carbons, ritchey finishing kit. horst link with new monarch shock. bargain, i reckon, in the current price hike climate. im off to halfords for a closer look.

matt_outandabout

Bargainlicious….

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Is it me, or does it look like a Saracen? 😈

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What’s the new Monarch shock like?

Special_ized_Jamie

High spec for the money, worth buying flogging the frame and buying another higher end one?

johnners
    Free Member

Is it me, or does it look like a Saracen?

It’s you. I think it looks pretty much like a HL 5-Spot.

ji
    Free Member

I’ve got the team (£999 model) and it is excellent, and not just for the price. Only downsides were the crappy saddle and cheapo tyres, and I swapped the seat clamp for a QR one from Hope.

Northwind

It just won the WMB cheap full suss test, by “a huge margin”.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Why flog the frame? It’ll ride pretty much like any other horst link framed bike. Ah, I see, flog it for something more fashionable 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

its been long held that you should buy as good frame as you can and upgrade bits as you go so in theory should you not get the worst spec’ed bike as they should (but not always) mean a better frame?

i’m not sure if I like it or not. clearly its not as trendy / fashionable as some but also I wonder who is designing these, it could just be a rebadged / rebranded carrera.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Having looked at them in store they are definatly different to the carrera. WMB seem to be very happy with the way the frame rode and was made with the cheapest one that they tested so can’t see that one being any worse it just doesn’t have the name.

Northwind

Like the Carreras the frames are built by Merida, don’t know who designs them though. But people will always turn their noses up at halfords bikes even when they’re brilliant.

bigrich

I was over in NZ recently, and the guys I rode with reckoned Poms care too much about what bike they ride and not enough on the riding.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Having seen a large Pro in the flesh (mediums weren’t in stock then) I was mightily impressed.

I’d be keen to hear how they perform on technical descents. WMB described it as ‘Lively’.

Great spec and frame looks very well finished. Shame about exposed gear cable inners though.

johnners
    Free Member

Shame about exposed gear cable inners though

I prefer them that way. They can always be drilled/filed out if anyone’s that bothered.

uplink
    Free Member

I was over in NZ recently, and the guys I rode with reckoned Poms care too much about what bike they ride and not enough on the riding.

Well – if that’s what they reckon – it’s good enough for me 🙄

rolfharris
    Free Member

So, the gears are great. The forks wonderful. The finishing kit’s all ritchey.

It’s cheap. So where’s the weak link?

Ah. Yes. The frame.

retro83
    Free Member

Ah. Yes. The frame.

Dunno about that, looks nicely finished and rides well.

father
    Free Member

Don’t know much about the full sus version, but several of the lads at work got the hardtail last year on C2W and have all been happy with it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

those boardman full-bounce bikes are ace. (a friends’ friend has one, i’m very impressed)

ignore the badge for a moment, what have you got? – it’s a well specced bike with a strongish/lightweight frame, using a real 4-bar design, and up to date geometry.

what more do you want?

i regret NOT buying one, it’s a bargain.

The frame will be made in Taiwan, in the same factory, by the same highly skilled welders, using the same grade tubing, then undergoing the same heat-treatment process, as almost every other frame you can buy.

now pretend it had an ‘Orange’ sticker on the headtube, or ‘santa cruz’. you wouldn’t even stop to think.

buy one, and with the money you save over an Orange 5, go to Bubion for a week, and Chatel, and Dumfries.

Mountain biking is too expensive, we should be much more excited when we have the chance to buy decent kit for sensible money.

bikes are ace.

richc
    Free Member

uplink – Member

Well – if that’s what they reckon – it’s good enough for me [:roll:]

Strangely enough thats what a load of Canadians said to me, most UK riders are obsessed with kit and most can’t ride for toffee but thats OK as they have made sure all the anodizing matches.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Sometimes these frames really are terrible, with outdated geometry and mismatched kit slung on it. This definitely looks different however, the geometry all makes sense 69 head angle, 73 seat, the top tubes reasonably long. All the stuff looks like it works well together. If i wanted a full sus, i’d definitely buy one.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

can’t ride for toffee but thats OK as they have made sure all the anodizing matches.

How many people do you actually know like this in real life though?? I get the feeling that they are just over represented on internet forums, so it just *seems* like everyone does this.

bigrich

not all boardman frames are rubbish!

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/3202

Northwind

rolfharris, what makes you think there’s anything wrong with the frame? Care to back that up at all? Or is it just brand snobbery?

nickc

Strangely enough thats what a load of Canadians said to me, most UK riders are obsessed with kit and most can’t ride for toffee but thats OK as they have made sure all the anodizing matches.

Riiight, because ALL Canadians ride 20 year old clunkers and are gods taken the form of cyclists, eh?

Nothing like sweeping generalisations

thepodge
    Free Member

Northwind – rolfharris, what makes you think there’s anything wrong with the frame? Care to back that up at all? Or is it just brand snobbery?

for me its a brand that seem to have come from no where with a track cyclists name on them sold through a chain store. added to that its a really good deal means i’m expecting them to cut corners some where and i’m expecting that to be the frame because everything else is standard market stuff.

Halfords downgrade the GT stuff they sell so it has a lower price than anywhere else. they don’t seem like they mind cutting corners

owenfackrell
    Free Member

The podge – where do they down grade on the GT kit? The bars and stems on the xcr5 are branded GT the seat post is a no mane but seems better than those on a lot of big name bikes for the same price and every thing lse is better than others at the same rpice.

thepodge
    Free Member

I read it on here some where, yes I know being on the internet it doesn’t mean it’s true but I think it was the wheels where they cut the corners, maybe the home brand kit is some one elses on the same bike in you LBS, i’m not sure.

they have a licence from GT to build the bikes to whatever spec they like.

J0N
    Free Member

It seems a great bike to me. No reason why anything on it should be sub standard.
    All you nae-sayers are just brand snobs or prejudice.
    I dont think its exceptional value either. Specialized and Giant will do you a similar build for a similar price and thats with more inbetweeners and exchange rates.
    Spesh FSR XC Pro
    Giant Trance X4
    Spesh Pitch Pro is only £1000
    If these bikes from Big, reputable companies can produce bikes with respected frames then why can’t Boardman?
    poor anything is not an excuse.
    Remember that all the Boardman bikes will have been produced when the pound was strong.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Does anyone have a geometry chart for the Boardman Pro – or know the TT of the small? As always, I reckon I’ll be too small for it 🙁

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Maybe that is true of the cheaper ones but the ones that came on mine (which i sold on) were shimano 475 hubs with wtb rims and at the time were on a par with most bike of that price if not higher.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

The frame/shocks on the spec and giant are similar but they are deffinatly low when it comes to the rest of the kit but i would depend on if they are bits that bother you or not.

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Boardman Road Team alu frame off eBay. It’s super light and very nicely finished, really pleased with it.

mikertroid
    Free Member

The Boardman Team didn’t do so brilliantly in MBR this month: flexy frame and overly ‘XC” for their liking…..

Houns

Click below for the specs/geometry (click on spec)

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbfs/fs_pro.html

GaryLake
    Free Member

buy one, and with the money you save over an Orange 5, go to Bubion for a week, and Chatel, and Dumfries.

This argument kind of falls flat on it’s face I that you picked on a bike that is just plain different. 4″ and steep vs 5.5″ and slack.

I get your sentiment but perhaps picking on a SC Superlight might have been more accurate… 😛

owenfackrell
    Free Member

120mm isn’t 4″ it is 4.75″

wors

The Boardman Team didn’t do so brilliantly in MBR this month:

thats because it isn’t specialized and hasn’t got fox suspension.

richc
    Free Member

Can anyone confirm its a Reba Maxle 120 fork? as the website says its a 100 normal Reba.

If it is and when they sells them off cheap at the end of the year, it looks to be a cheap way of replacing an old and tired fork and drive chain and then ebay the rest.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Boardman Pro, bargain. Im tempted.’ is closed to new replies.