Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Boardman – 'MPs should be embarrassed by their performance'
  • stevious

Chris Boardman’s been sitting in on the commons transport committee looking into the recent spate of cycling deaths. He’s not very optimistic about the process:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25200562

What hope of a decent resolution when the discourse in the corridors of power is much like that on an internet forum?

pondo

Fair play, he’s not one to avoid the elephant in the room. Puts me in mind of any soundbites from government select committees investigating banks/the BBC/energy companies or whatever – they just sound like pompous idiots trying to score points off their target, rather than actually trying to achieve anything useful.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

He’s just saying what we all know.
    Politicians are **** useless at everything bar political bullshit.

smaca
    Free Member

@uselesshippy.

I disagree, politicians are quiet good at becoming non-execs in companies set to gain from government policies, especially on retirement as an MP. 😉

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I class that as political bullshit. Because they still manage to do sweet fa. Apart from get paid…. A lot…

MoreCashThanDash

Not disagreeing with Mr Boardman, as I suspect he is right, but given that these deaths were only last month, I’m a bit concerned if MPs are trying to solve the problem before the Police enquiries and coroners inquests have established exactly what the cause of each accident was

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

They are not looking into the recent cycle deaths. They are looking into cycle safety following the recent cycle deaths. The latter being coincidental.

dmorts

They should all go on a trip to Berlin, have a look around and see how it’s done there….which is much better in my opinion.

Soon in Edinburgh we will have a lane containing trams*, buses, taxis and bicycles…. now am I the only one who thinks that is completely absurd?

*they are coming, honest

cookeaa

Its standard form innit, pretty much anything popping in the public eye/media can prompt the setting up/or convening of a select committee, the composition that committee and agenda of those on it along with any goals they might set themselves are almost completely irrelevant.
    Setting up a session and vowing to produce a report is what allows MPs to demonstrate they are “addressing public concerns”… Even if they aren’t really…

The committee’s recommendations might be evidence based if we’re lucky, but more than likely will just be those supported by which ever MP’s shouted loudest or managed to effect the best approximation of indignant disbelief and disgust at people reporting simple facts to them… Prepare yourself for Helmet, Hi-Viz and VED disc compulsion come 2014/15 folks…

cookeaa

Actually I take it back (well a bit at least)

Apparently they want people to submit their views on the topic:

Transport Select committee cycling safety follow up

We would like to hear views on:

-Whether cycling is safe, particularly in towns and cities
    -What central and local Government could do to improve cycling safety. Ideas could include better training and advice for drivers and cyclists, better enforcement of the law applying to drivers and cyclists, and better vehicle and road infrastructure.
    -Whether it would be desirable and feasible to segregate cyclists from other road users, including, for example, by prohibiting HGVs from entering city centres at peak hours.

Of course the other Parlimentary body to follow up with would be The All-Party Parliamentary Cycling Group

Rather than assume it’s a talking shop with no real intention of making changes I’d say Pester, Pester, Pester!

You know full well that various DM reading Motorway Men and “Professional drivers” will be writing to their MP and the Transport select committee to express their views on cycling, we should all be doing the same, and not just those of us in that there London…

senorj

Everyone on that committee should be forced to ride from Croydon to Barnet….and back.

pondo

Actually I take it back (well a bit at least) Apparently they want people to submit their views on the topic

Mr Chris, he say –

“In front of them sat experts from campaigning bodies, transport research and the police – all ready to get into a proper discussion – and yet the MPs demonstrated that they didn’t even know the most basic of facts. Evidence and statistics were bypassed in favour of opinions and anecdotes on sideline topics.”

I don’t have that much confidence that they’re gonna listen. 🙁

brakes
    Free Member

by the way it’s been reported it sounds like a BBC local radio phone in.

brooess
    Free Member

Apparently they want people to submit their views on the topic:

… by 26th November…

I get comms from CTC, BC, 2x road clubs, spend hours on here and Roadcc and heard nothing about their request for submissions. How long would it have taken someone to email the main membership groups and asked them to communicate to all their members?…

cookeaa

… by 26th November…

Bugger, missed that…

Pester the all-party cycling group anyway…
    I’d hope the MPs on an all-party group concerned with cycling would be following the Transport committee’s cycling safety investigations closely anyway, but a little geeing along never goes amiss…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Prepare yourself for Helmet, Hi-Viz and VED disc compulsion come 2014/15 folks…

Fear i agree. This idiots haven’t got a clue.

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=14361
    17:36 – “Motorbikes have to pass a test, why not cyclists etc…To protect the cyclists we must have some rules for them”
    RHA: “a lot of our members agree, we’d like to see a mandatory test, insurance, MOT…” then he goes on to talk about how a generation ago, there was a much better idea of “what cycling should entail”. (WTF?!)

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Yet again, opinion over evidence.

I think whats happening is the politicians are thinking in terms of “fairness” whereas the cycle groups are thinking in terms of “safety”.

All of the references to VED etc.. are because it seems unfair that motorists have to pay and cyclists don’t. Same with insurance/tests and other regulations.

None of them understand why this is all in place.

You might as well ask why its necessary to have a license for an handgun and not a air rifle.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Everyone on that committee should be forced to ride from Croydon to Barnet….and back.

I doubt any of them could make a fraction of that distance.

MoreCashThanDash

I reckon that making all members of that committee ride in London for a couple of days would be the best possible evidence they could use for cycle safety ideas.

How could we make that happen? Contact CTC, BC etc and ask them to press for it when they appear? I’d love to see Chris Boardman challenge them to do it, unannounced, with no media or police convoy to distort the experience.

We need a petition!

brakes
    Free Member

listening to the select committee meeting, what it clear is that the invited panel are clearly well informed and have progressive and informed views. the Transport Committee however aren’t. and educate me on politics if you will, but aren’t they the ones that are making the decisions? so whilst the panel are talking about how segregated infrastructure does and doesn’t work, quoting stats about causes of deaths, etc. the panel are forcing them to answer questions about whether cyclists should be forced to take their headphones off and get their bikes MOT’ed. an interesting meeting, but I have no faith in those on those committee.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Boardman – 'MPs should be embarrassed by their performance'’ is closed to new replies.