Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Boardman FS team …… Am i the only one!
  • nicholasnismo
    Free Member

I managed to get a Boardman FS on a bike to work scheme for less than £900, initially the plan was to use it as my winter hack bike but I cant keep of the bloody thing.
    Ive got a Yeti 575, Commencal meta and decent 29er sitting in my garage but recently the Boardman has become my go to bike and is so much more fun than the others I have, I just cant get my head round how this bike can feel so right in everything I put it through,
    I’m off to Afan next month and will be taking the Boardman, surly i should be thinking of taking one of the five inch plus travel bikes but i’m not even considering it.

Anyone else having similar ‘issues’?

neilthewheel

I went for the Pro but got it for £1440. It’s certainly the most fun I’ve had on a mountain bike.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I bought the 29er pro HT for a ridiculous price. I bloody love it!! Rides an absolute treat. My Salsa is going up for sale.

spawnofyorkshire

Had my 26″ one for two years and love it.
    Only time I didn’t was when the pivot bearings went.

Keep thinking about changing bike but every time just upgrade stuff instead to make it better.
    Edit: I only paid £880 for it after discount and cashback

bellys
    Free Member

i picked up a second hand 650b team HT for winter and its my goto bike now had it for 3mth and not used my camber since. it just feel right every time im out on it.
    also had a 2008 team HT and that was a great bike.

nicholasnismo
    Free Member

Its got budget tyres as well so god knows how good it will feel with a tyre upgrade!

spawnofyorkshire

@NN

It’s a bike that’s taken upgrades well.
    New bar, stem, saddle, dropper post, XT brakes, tyres, pedals, drivetrain. Wheels next 🙂
    However the frame and suspension feel right for it and have no need to fiddle around with it.
    It’s not light but it steers exactly where i want it

freeagent
    Free Member

Older Boardman Hardtail here – I keep thinking about a new MTB, but can’t think how I could improve on this without spending thousands.

Very under-rated bikes, with a lot of people being put off by the ‘Halfords factor’

badnewz
    Free Member

I was tempted by a lower end Boardman HT, until I lifted it up – heaavvvyy.

Northwind

freeagent – Member

Very under-rated bikes, with a lot of people being put off by the ‘Halfords factor’

The number of times you read “Yeah, the parts are really good but that’s no use when it’s stuck to a crap frame” “Why do you think the frame’s crap?” “Well, Halfords, dur”.

nicholasnismo
    Free Member

The frame is far from a let down and halfords just sell them they don’t make them and I agree halfords service is rubbish but there is nothing wrong with the bikes they just suffer from the ‘ bike snobbery syndrome’.

Northwind

TBH even the service isn’t automatically bad- my local halfords has been consistently better than the average LBS, for years. Can’t match a good LBS but they’ve been impressive. (freehub broke, they couldn’t immediately track down a replacement, ie it was going to take a week or so- so they gave me a whole new wheel out of a stock bike. This despite me having bought it used! Pretty cool)

I think I’m about to rebuild my carrera kraken for about the 5th time, not sure what form it’s going to take this time. Lyriks would down to 120mm? 😉

spawnofyorkshire

You do get some snobishness from people because it’s a halfords bike but that’s their problem. I know i’ve got a decent bike under me that is more capable than I am

nicholasnismo
    Free Member

I had a Kraken and loved it in fact it wwas my first MTB still got the frame in the garage.

AlexSimon

I guess there are several aspects to the Halfords thing:
    1) The history of selling BSOs
    2) The history of ruining several brands in the late 90s early 2000s (Kona, GT)
    2) The fact that you are incredibly lucky if you find a member of staff who gives a crap or has any competence. They do exist, but it’s pot luck.

I don’t think many people dismiss the Boardman or Voodoo ranges though.

I love my Boardman CX bike. There isn’t a bike I’d rather have this side of £1300.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Boardman FS team …… Am i the only one!’ is closed to new replies.