I've had my Boardman CX for a few weeks now and the brakes have been ok'ish, on bridle ways and a few forest tracks.
Then I took it on its first proper off road ride the other night, on a normal MTB group ride and the front felt very spongy, I could notice the brake cable pulling away from the bars under the tape.
So I set about taking the bar tape off and seeing what was going on. The tape holding the cables to the bar was very loose, so I applied a couple of cable ties at the bends and just on the straight bit, liberally taped up the cables again with some electrical tape and reapplied the bar tape (nice and tight this time).
A quick test ride round the garden and they're 100 times better, can't wait to try them properly tomorrow